Mar 7 / Hannah Mathers

Warrior Weekend – Spring Break edition

It’s WSU Spring Break 2014 y’all! And that means this weeks Warrior Weekend can be even MORE hardcore. :) Check out some cool things I suggest attending. PS) I am literally sitting here with an internal conflict of what I will do and what I will have to miss. psshh and people say there isn’t anything to do around here.

Friday, March 7

Calendar-ADN_ALBERTO_croop

Alberto Rojo Trio (Friday Night Live)
7 & 8:30 pm
Detroit Institute of Arts (Walkable and free!)

This guy and his trio is actually pretty well known (he has his own spotify page!) and they are playing FOR FREE at our very own DIA. Beautiful spanish guitar and lyrics, I can dig. I have no intentions of missing it.

1537455_10152306467047228_409412363_o

5th Annual Comic Jam with special guest Ben Snakepit 

5 pm
MOCAD (Walkable and free!)

Directly from event page – “spontaneous, improvised, collaborative comics and free-form drawings with other artists and illustrators.” Seems like a hilarious event to say the least.

1926631_10152221955411445_1904059236_n

BlueCollar Gentlemen: A Midwest Hip-Hop Function
9 pm
Old Miami Bar

Legit live hip hop music at one of our awesome Midtown bars. Literally right outside our door. :)

171_Lefty_s_1000x265-3Karaoke night at Lefty’s
10 pm
Lefty’s Bar and Grill (Cass and Kirby)

I’m not gonna lie, I don’t really like this place to be honest, but a LOTTTT of people do so I would say that you have to check it out for yourself. If you haven’t seen karaoke night yet at WSU, you really have to try it at least once.

Saturday, March 8

mastheadEastern Market Saturdays
All day
Eastern Market (Mack and Russell Street) (Kind of Walkable and Free!)

Just wanted to remind you all that Eastern Market still exists and is poppin’ despite this crappy weather. GO THERE AND BUY DELICIOUS VEGGIES!

All Weekend

1497689_10152061987566251_607666561_n

Purgatory Film Exhibition and The DAMNED Bazaar

Friday and Saturday (Various times)
The Tangent Gallery (Student discount of $5.00!)

This seems like I should say, “enter at your own risk.” I don’t know much about Purgatory, but if I go to this festival, I’m sure that I will learn all about it. Anyway, seems interesting and definitely new and unique. I’ll try anything once! (sometimes twice :) )

large_c3cc5144-3c23-43cf-9efb-3d2cf8221a19 Autorama Car Show
Cobo Hall – Downtown Detroit

Like the Autoshow (but cooler in my opinion) this is a car show to show off people’s custom made rides. It’s a little more gritty and dirty and funky and well, Detroity in my opinion. Check it out!

Film-Fest-Special-Notice

Arab Film Festival
Various times
Dearborn – Arab American National Museum

Although not necessarily in our backyard, this event is surely worth mentioning. All weekend, this festival will show some of the best arabic films in the market. This reminds me how unique and diverse Detroit and it’s surroundings are and that makes me happy :)

Well, if you don’t find anything fun to do this weekend, I will have to say that that is YOUR fault. There’s tons to do. What did I miss though? Any events that you know of this weekend? What about events for Spring Break? Next weekend? Keep me in the know too! Thanks y’all and have an awesome break.