Skip to content

Wayne State University

Aim Higher

Nov 18 / Taylor Plotzke

Project 3: Fiction Letterform Reflection

~

Nov 12 / Taylor Plotzke

MILLER business cards…

tumblr_ney6liprJG1r99d4ro1_1280tumblr_ney6liprJG1r99d4ro2_1280 tumblr_ney6liprJG1r99d4ro2_1280 tumblr_ney6liprJG1r99d4ro3_1280 tumblr_ney6liprJG1r99d4ro5_1280 tumblr_ney6liprJG1r99d4ro6_1280 tumblr_ney6liprJG1r99d4ro7_1280 tumblr_ney6liprJG1r99d4ro8_1280 tumblr_ney6liprJG1r99d4ro9_1280

I love the little details on these business cards! Super subtle, but gives a hint at the company’s lighthearted vibe in their work.

I would love to receive a card like this.

Check out their website HERE!

Oct 27 / Taylor Plotzke

Poster Inspiration

 

Lamantin Poster

Lamantin Poster – Identity design for a Hungarian jazz festival

by Krzysztof Iwanski

by Krzysztof Iwanski

Junior Boy by Talkseek

Junior Boy by Talkseek

This poster was commissioned by Rhode Island School of Design for their 2004 Graphic Design Triennial. It plays with the idea of threes: three colors, three typefaces, three letters. I use typography as the key structural element of the poster while lines featuring the names of every student in the exhibition serves as background texture.

This poster was commissioned by Rhode Island School of Design for their 2004 Graphic Design Triennial. It plays with the idea of threes: three colors, three typefaces, three letters. They use typography as the key structural element of the poster while lines featuring the names of every student in the exhibition serves as background texture.

by Krzysztof Iwanski

by Krzysztof Iwanski

Oct 23 / Taylor Plotzke

Project 3: Fictional Letterform

IMG_3059 IMG_3063 IMG_3066 IMG_3072 IMG_3073 IMG_3075 IMG_3081 IMG_3082

Oct 19 / Taylor Plotzke

Project 3: Fictional Letterform

Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 5.27.54 PM

My final product!

Oct 19 / Taylor Plotzke

Project 3: Fictional Letterform – Process

img4004 img6006

img45005

Cutting, mashing, and combining different letter forms to create my own. I was initially interested in the j-e combo, but then started sketching with the ‘u’ & liked the overall roundness of the letter. In my final sketch I was able to incorporate all 3!
img8008 img9009
Screen Shot 2014-10-16 at 3.57.07 PM Screen Shot 2014-10-16 at 3.57.08 PM

Then I chose my final sketch & started to digitize! Here, I’m comparing in its place in with the rest of the alphabet and seeing if it makes sense. I noticed at this point that the size was off, the tittle spacing was off, and after closer inspection, there were still some other small flaws to work on. Screen Shot 2014-10-16 at 3.57.11 PM

Oct 19 / Taylor Plotzke

Project 3: Fictional Letterform – Process Work


IMG_0186

The beginning stages of my process work. I started with observing the anatomy of Adobe Garamond Pro letterforms, and tried to understand how I would later be able to attach and “mash” parts together to create my own letter form. IMG_0222IMG_0186

Having a print out of the actual font is extremely helpful while drawing. The quality of my drawing and over all sketches came out better this way. IMG_0226IMG_0227IMG_0231IMG_0230IMG_0229As I was drawing, I started noticing certain parts that caught my eye. I was constantly going back to the ‘e’ and the ‘u’. Once I started maing my full sketches, I trying several things, and then trying incorporating these interesting letterforms as well. I became intrigued by the idea of the ‘i’ and ‘j’ and what it may look like for them to have a third counterpart in the alphabet. This is in my mind, I was inspired to create my final sketch…

Oct 7 / Taylor Plotzke

Project 2: Font Mannerisms – Reflection

Project two started out with me exploring the typeface Baskerville in its most basic form. I just analyzed Baskerville in bold, italic, regular, and bold italic by looking at its baseline, x-height, and cap height at first. By doing this I was able to understand the differences between the font families. The second half of part one also helped me explore that aspect as well. In part two I was able to look at the details and close in on specific parts of type anatomy. I played with color and chose letters that I found interesting while also choosing letters that had important typographic elements like Q, k, t, and S. This part of the project was my favorite because of the combination of typography and design. The second half of part two was focused more on the specific anatomical parts of the letters. I liked using color with this part as well because I found it was easier to cleanly highlight elements that I found important, and keep a cohesive theme going throughout my project. Part three was interesting because, like part two, I was able to integrate design with typography. I was interested in communicating my chosen words “contrasting” and “elegant”. This part was a learning experience, or reminder rather, where I saw how much sketching helps form ideas. I came to a conclusion about what I wanted to produce much quicker when I made tons of sketches. Over all, I loved this project. I would like to go back and even add more to part three since I found that portion so enjoyable.

Oct 7 / Taylor Plotzke

Project 2: Font Mannerisms Part 3

font mannerisms part 3-01 font mannerisms part 32I chose to elaborate on the words elegant and contrasting.

Oct 7 / Taylor Plotzke

Project 2: Process Work (Sketches for Part 3)

sketches9_30-03 sketches9_30-02 sketches9_30-01 sketches9_30-04

Process work for Part 3 of Project 2: Font Mannerisms. Exploring contrasting, elegant, and formal.