Dec 23 / Mohammed Razon

End of 1st Semester

My first day of classes was on August 27th, 2012. I was only taking 4 classes — Biology 1050, Biology 1050 Discussion, Math 0993, English 1020, and Sociology 2000.

College for me was an amazing experience… without being too overwhelming. I really enjoyed the openness and freedom there was on campus. I will admit, the first week, I was completely lost. I did not know which building the DeRoy Auditorium was and especially the Science and Engineering Lab. All of my classes were at State Hall, the DeRoy Auditorium, and the Science and Engineering Lab. Whenever I was out of class, you would either find me walking to parking structure 5 on my way home, or at the David Adamany Undergraduate Library (UGL).

Let me be honest with you — I was NOT prepared for Math. Even though it was a 0993 course, I was struggling through it! I have always had a weak foundation in Algebra since middle school, and 0993 was a remedial course, preparing students to take Math 1000, which was university standards and meeting the gen. ed. requirement. If you think you\’re pretty good in math but just did craptastic on the ACT/SAT math portion or on the Math Proficiany/Placement Exam (WSU or Equivalent), then go ahead and take that class. However, if you really do struggle in math (like me), DO NOT waste your time in that class and apply for the Rising Scholars Program (RSP) for Math 0993. Generally, Math 0993 is an online math class (weird, right?) and takes place in a computer lab in the SEL (Science and Engineering Library). Be careful when doing homework, quizzes and tests on the computers because if you capitalize a variable or accidentally put in a comma for a period, there is no such thing as partial credit. It will mark your answer wrong. I cannot stress this enough. Also, be prepared for an average of four homework assignments a week – each being around 20-40 questions. Because it\’s an online class, the instructor can assign as many questions he/she wants because they wont ever have to hand check it since the computer does it for them. Either you score 100% on every homework, or you lose an entire point, even if you have a 99%. Also, because it\’s ONLY available one day a week and you\’re stuck for 3 hours in a lab, the instructor will often lecture/teach 3 or 5 different concepts in one lecture. For me, I got an slight understanding of one concept, but before I could fully understand, the instructor moved on to some completely different one. This is a remedial class… it should be MORE than one day a week! Students need attention in this kind of math and it only makes sense to teach it rigorously. It should also be in a classroom. Not a lab. This way, the teacher and student can communicate better and they can see where you go wrong in problem solving and at least give half credit.
To sum it up — If you suck at math like me, apply into the RSP and then take this class, if not, then dont take it – it wont count towards your degree anyways. Keep taking the math placement exam and score high or just take math at a community college.

As for English 1020, I really enjoyed it. The instructor was very laid back and cool, and we managed to get our stuff done. If you scored low on writing and reading on your ACT/SAT, you\’re going to be placed into English 1010. Try to get English 1020 by scoring high on the ACT or taking a placement exam. 1010 isnt that bad from what I hear.

Biology 1050 was the most interesting. I learned a lot of new things, even if it was an introduction to life science. The professor was really knowledgeable about it and was always on point. After lecture, we would be going off into our study groups/learning communities with a peer mentor that was assigned to us. Our study group became so close, that we decided to take the next biology class together. Hurray!

Sociology 2000 was really awesome — only because the instructor was. In fact, sociology was the only prereq I crossed off my list for my Dietetics major for that semester. It was an interesting class and the instructor even knew my name — which is RARE and AWESOME in college.

So over all, I really enjoyed college. Wayne State University has a lot to offer. You wont regret it.
…Well, maybe the math, but other than that… \”you be aiite\”.

3 Comments