Dec 14 / otl

New Class for Graduate Students Launching in Winter 2018: Intro to College Teaching

Are you a GTA at WSU and the thought of having to teach makes you panic? Are you overwhelmed when you start putting together your syllabus and have no idea what “learning outcomes” are?Graduate Teaching Assistants sharing their course design

Panic no more – we can help!

The Office of Teaching and Learning (OTL) and the Graduate School are pleased to announce an introductory class on college teaching for graduate students next winter semester:

GS 7900 Introduction to College Teaching and Learning. The one-credit class will be taught in a hybrid format – both in-person and online – and provides an introduction to the principles of college teaching through an examination of proven methods for teaching effectively. The class offers opportunities for the development and improvement of participants’ instructional skills from both a theoretical and a practice-based understanding of excellence in teaching.

Graduate Teaching Assistants sharing their course design. Topics include:

• Designing your class – from syllabus to final exam:
    What learning outcomes should be included when designing a new class? What framework should be applied to design lessons that reflect the course’s learning objectives?
  • Active learning and assessments:
    What evidence-based teaching methods can I use to enhance my students’ learning in my classroom? How do I design exams and other assessments that are effective and align with my learning outcomes?
  • Technology:
    How can I successfully incorporate educational technologies in the classroom? What are some fun tools I can use in class that support student learning?Register Today for GS 7900: Introduction to College Teaching and Learning
  • Career development:
    What should be included in my diversity statement, teaching philosophy, and teaching portfolio?

We especially encourage new GTAs who have never taught and PhD’s that are preparing to enter the job market to take this class. Graduate students from all disciplines are welcome!

Spots are limited – register today!