Project 4: Shape sketches/Letter formation

My two words for my brainstorm were SLUGGISH and SUPPLEMENT

Sluggish:

(Dictionary) indisposed to action or exertion; lacking in energy; lazy; indolent.  Slow to act or respond. Not action  or working with full vigor, as bodily organs.

(My Definition) to be un-energetic, un-interested, non-entertained.   To move in a slow motion, head down, drooping, dragging your feet. Lazy and lay around all day.

Supplement:

(Dictionary) something added to complete a thing, supply a deficiency; or reinforce or extend a whole.  Part added to a book, document, etc. to suple additional or later information, correct errors; or the like.  A part, usually of special character, issed as an additional feature of a newspaper or other periodical.

(My Definition) Being aid to an preexisting thing.  Giving nutrients to a human, words/pages to a book, water to a plant.  It completes the item by filling in the missing piece.

CONNOTATIONS:  Connotations and Images  (<– LINK)

SLUGGISH

IMG_5925IMG_1357

SUPPLEMENT

images (3) imagesimages (2)

Screen shot 2013-11-11 at 9.21.37 AM

with SLUGGISH I wanted to give this idea of motion, like either from fast to slow or slow to fast.  Since a slug actually moves slow and leaves a residue behind as it travels I wanted to give that idea of stretching across the screen.

Screen shot 2013-11-11 at 9.21.50 AM

with SUPPLEMENT I was thinking of an extra piece, something added as support, and inorder to show that its needed to fill a void I wanted to eliminate its position from the actual letter than show it elsewhere.

Screen shot 2013-11-11 at 9.22.04 AM Screen shot 2013-11-11 at 9.56.34 AM

I applied the sluggish sketches to the letters G and L, and i applied the supplement sketches to the N and E.

Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 9.13.15 AM Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 9.13.21 AM

This is where I began playing with the word sluggish, I had a harder time getting to a point where all the letters agreed. So i continuously played with different “s” .

Posted by Lacey on November 11, 2013