Virus Type Foundry
I was assigned virus type foundry to research for class. Googling the term proved difficult as I had suspected. I wasn’t entirely sure was I was looking for but when I came across virusfonts.com, I knew I was in the right place.
So far, this is what I’ve gathered about Virus Type Foundry:
- It was founded in 1997 by Jonathan Barnbrook and Barnbrook Designs
- They are based out of London
- The foundry seeks to “produce experimental, innovative, usable fonts.”
- In addition to typefaces, Virus also creates bespoke lettering and fonts for Barbrook Designs and other clients
- Virus is also the commercial side of Barnbrook Design that releases and distributes publications of the limited editions of the studio
- Jonathan Barnbrook worked for previously worked for Emigre and designed both Exocet and Mason
Aside from what I’ve read on their “about” page, I’m piecing together different articles they’ve posted that I’ve been reading through. In a nutshell, their innovative, recognized, and kind of a big deal.
In addition to the type foundry itself, Jonathan Barnbrook is quite the phenom himself. He has created album artwork for David Bowie in addition to several other artists. Barbrook’s work is very politically driven. He responds to social scenarios in the media through the use of design and type to best express himself. Luckily for us, the product of his angst is emotive, striking, art.