Mar 1 / Danielle Wright

It’s Going to be Okay!

Lately, I have been struggling with what my next step after graduation will be and it’s been pretty scary. I have considered going to grad school, moving away to pursue theatre, moving away just to move away, traveling, moving back home, and so many other things. Slowly but surely, I have come up with a reason to not do any of those things and have convinced myself that none of them are right for me at the time. Either I want time off from school, I’m afraid to take time off from school, I need to save money, I want to live on my own, I’m not ready, my reasons are endless and quite honestly, a load of crap. They’re all excuses. When I realized this, I asked myself why I was making up excuses to not move on to the next chapter, whatever it may be, especially when I know, without a doubt, that I’m ready to be done with the current chapter of my life.

I have never known a life outside of school, something many graduating college seniors are grappling with as well. What does one do once school is no longer in the picture? Do you go back for more school and just avoid the outside world a little longer? Do you go for the masters to ensure that you have a steady job to support yourself in the long run? Do you just pick up and leave and start over? Do you fully embrace your independence, or do you move back home and live with your parents just like you did before college? While asking myself all of these questions, trying to figure out the right answers, and comparing my post-graduation plans with those of my classmates, I realized that I was just going in circles and getting zero answers. Then I discovered why: because there are no right answers. Every single person’s post-graduation path is not the same. Everyone is in a different place in their life when they graduate and THAT’S OKAY! No one is the same, no one goes through what you do, people jump into careers faster than others, some need some time figuring out exactly what it is they want to do. THOSE ARE ALL OKAY! Choose what’s right for you. It’s more important to check in with yourself than it is to check in with others. That’s something that has taken me a long time to learn.