Feb 1 / Danielle Wright

Fear

Fear is a feeling that everyone has felt at some point in time and everyone fears something. No one is immune to fear and if they say they are, then they are lying. Maybe they’re afraid of the dark, scary movies, or wire coat hangers. But one thing I’m sure that almost all people are afraid of is the future. The future can seem daunting and uncertain and it’s the idea of not knowing what is to come that can leave some people paralyzed with fear.

The word fear has been on my mind a lot lately. I’m scared of what is going to happen after graduation and the uncertainty of my next move. I’m scared for the future of the people and places around me in light of recent government occurrences. But whatever you’re afraid of, it’s important to remember not to let it control you. Don’t sit idoly by, get up, take action, and focus on the things that you have the power to change.

If it’s the idea of your personal future following graduation that has you riddled with fear, then make a plan and start it today. Don’t wait until the day after graduation to begin your future. Start making connections now and take a leap of faith if you need to. Sometimes fear can be the best motivator to help you achieve your dreams even if it’s hard to get up the courage to move forward.

If it’s the future of the people and places around you, then again, take action. Speak up for injustice and things that you don’t agree with. While it can be scary, you have to keep pushing forward because the world around you won’t stop or slow down. Things will always be changing; sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. Change can be a pretty terrifying thing, but it’s how you handle the changes and how you power through the fear that matters.

Use your fear to motivate yourself and take action! Don’t let fear win, no matter what it is that you’re afraid of.