Oct 31 / Danielle Wright

“So What Are You Doing After Graduation?”

Being a senior this year, I have been faced with the question, “So what are you doing after graduation?” countless times and it is probably the scariest question I’ve ever had to answer. Many of the actors that have graduated before me have made the big move to NYC, so that may seem like my obvious next move. However, as I approach graduation, I realize that NYC may not be the right next step for me. So I’ve been doing some research and guess what…the beauty of theatre is that it can be done anywhere! Sadly, many people don’t realize that quality, professional theatre is doable outside of New York City or L.A. While New York is home to Broadway and L.A. is known for its film work, having a successful acting career outside of those cities is 100% possible! New York and L.A. are huuuuge! There are so many struggling actors in those cities, because so many people believe that that is where you have to go if you’re ever going to make in this business. But by going elsewhere, you are putting yourself in a smaller talent pool, thus upping your chances of landing jobs! Score! So, before you move, here are 10 U.S. cities that you could help you jump-start your acting career (this list is in no particular order).

1. Chicago, IL
  2. Atlanta, GA
  3. San Francisco, CA
  4. Boston, MA
  5. Washington D.C.
  6. Minneapolis, MN
  7. Seattle, WA
  8. Philadelphia, PA
  9. Dallas, TX
  10. Portland, OR

I wish I could go into depth about why each city is a great place for aspiring actors, but there is just so much going on! If you’re an actor, or studying to be one, research these cities and find out the best place for you to start your career!

This is just in America, if you’re willing to move out of the U.S., then there are even more amazing theatre cities! When it comes to your acting career don’t limit yourself to just New York or L.A., because there is some pretty amazing theatre out there that you could miss out on!

drama-masks