We are hiring! The Web Communications office is looking for an in house Web Developer. It’s not often we put a call out for new staff but we are filling a much needed void in our team. Our department started eleven years ago with little staff and resources, we have since grown to a staff of eleven and take on new responsibilities every day. Almost everyone in the department started as a student and worked their way up (myself included). It’s not often we get the opportunity to hire from the outside, we’re looking for a talented individual to help level up the Web.
With three developers the projects are distributed evenly so everyone has the opportunity to work on something new. We are a collaborative environment and this position has the opportunity to affect the direction of all future Web projects. If you have read our blog in the past you will know we push out a lot of sites, about one per week. All sites are created from the ground up, completely by hand, and completely responsively. The Web is a craft and we make sure we build all the tools needed to do it as streamlined as possible. This position has the opportunity to build and maintain these tools that impact the entire institution, not to mention work with an amazing team.
Primary Web property responsibilities
- Wayne.edu and 500+ institutional websites
- WordPress Blog Network
- Events Calendar RSVP’s and Payments
- Homegrown Content Management System
- Mobile website
- Zurb Foundation
- Experience collaborating throughout the entire project cycle, from research, strategy, information architecture, visual design, front-end development and maintenance.
- A solid grasp of back-end Web development environments, including HTTP, Web servers, load balancers, the interpretation layer, databases and associated Web frameworks.
- Considerable skill in writing web applications that retrieve and update information in relational Web centric databases.
- The ability to clearly communicate to project stakeholders and process feedback internally and externally.
- The ability to troubleshoot website layout and Web application performance issues and resolve issues independently or direct issues to the responsible party.
- Provide direct supervision to internal Web site interns and guidance to unit Web site content authors.
- Ability to work with accuracy and attention to detail to meet deadlines.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions, policies, and procedures.
- Considerable project management skills, including ability to provide time estimates and prepare accurate records and reports.
- Proficiency in the use of Web applications programming languages, tools, and/or methodologies for developing integrated Web applications typically acquired through formal education or equivalent experience in Web application development.
- Demonstrated ability in analyzing customer requirements and developing basic information systems solutions typically acquired through one to two years of directly related experience in Web application development and support.
- The ability to translate functional requirements into cross-browser Web applications.
- Strong understanding of Web technologies and related user device capabilities required to access the Web.
- Strong understanding of test driven development.
- Have worked with creating templates for a content management system.
- Have experience with device and browser testing.
- Working knowledge in Photoshop.
- Enable and execute A/B tests to measure different design approaches.
- Can code HTML Email templates with understanding of limitations, and standard practices.
- An eye for detail and great communication skills, for example, multi-tasking in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Effectively communicate with Project Managers, Designs, Clients and other Developers.
- Have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge and professional growth.
- Create tools and resources to communicate with our rapidly expanding developer community.
- Stay current with trends and best practices.