With the recent departure of Brett and the upcoming graduation of Shaun we are in need of two new student Web developers. It’s a great opportunity to work in a real Web environment with real clients, deadlines and the ability to shape the future of Wayne State’s website.
Here’s who we’re looking for:
- Freshman or sophomore computer science student (but not limited to)
- Prefer PHP, MySQL, jQuery, MVC and Smarty (or similar) experience
- Interest in contributing or previous experience with open source software
- Excited about working with a lot of data
- Interested in a career in Web development long term
If you were working for us, here is an idea of what your tasks look like:
- Talk through the implementation of a new feature in the CMS with the senior developers
- Fix a small CSS display bug in IE7 on a departmental homepage
- Take a paper form and turn it into a web form with validation
- Add a module to an existing site to view and export entries from a web form
- Meet with one of our web designers to go over a mockup to determine which parts of the design may be difficult to implement
- Take a PSD created by the designers as turned it into an HTML template in our CMS
- Track down and fix a bug in an existing application that locked a user out of their manager
- Create a database query to connect a few tables and export the results as a CSV
- Answer emails from our clients (departments on campus) in a timely and polite mannor
- Walk someone through adding an event on the university events calendar on the phone
- Review another developer’s code for consistency and bugs
- Test a site for mobile phone compatibility and print friendliness
This list may look intimidating, you won’t dive into everything your first week but it’s just a little of what you will experience.
Experience is not important. We aren’t interested in your resume, we don’t care if your only other job is at McDonald’s. We are looking for students who are aspiring web developers and have a passion to learn. We assure you will leave every day with more experience than you could ever get by yourself or sitting in class.
We are a teaching department, most of the full time staff started out as part time and grew in to full time positions while learning. Your education is important to us so we are very flexible about your schedule. We are looking for someone to work 10-20 hours per week with 10 hours being the minimum.
If this job sounds like something you’d love to do every day, we definitely want to hear from you. We need to hear from you!
Please get in touch by emailing web [at] wayne dot edu with a brief description of your experience and why you think you would be a good addition to our department. Please include “Student Developer” somewhere in the subject. Thanks!