Mobile device usage

Inspired by Mike Nolan’s post over on the Edge Hill University Web Services blog I decided to give everyone an insight into the mobile device usage for wayne.edu.

Mobile devices for the past month

Now this is just for wayne.edu and not all the sub sites under it so the numbers are deceiving. Also, this is for the last 30 days, May 15-June 14, 2010. In addition, these numbers are a little low because less students are on campus for the summer semester. But this may give us better insight into how our site is being accessed from off campus.

As you can see the iPhone has most of the mobile traffic with Android trailing close behind. If you combine the iPhone and iPod usage it accounts for over 53 percent of all mobile web traffic. That’s a lot and for that fact alone it is where we are focusing our mobile web initiatives.

Mobile access trends for the past eight months

(view more detailed trends)

Mobile access is growing fast and it doesn’t look like it will stop. We don’t want to just make sure our web content is accessible from these devices but we also want to deliver our content in context. For example, if you are viewing this blog from a mobile device the formatting is completely changed to enhance your reading and navigation experience.

Over the next few months we will be posting more about our mobile initiatives for wayne.edu and other areas of the Wayne State web.

Disclaimer: The graphs and data are straight from Google Analyics they don’t include any of our external mobile tracking.

5 Replies to “Mobile device usage”

1. Thanks for sharing, Nick. We’re experiencing similar percentages. iPhone, iPod and iPad make up a total of ~53% of our total mobile traffic, with Android making up approximately 26% and Blackberry hovering around 10%.

I’d be curious to see, though, how your mobile traffic compares to your overall site traffic. In our case, Our mobile traffic still only accounts for less than 1% of our total site traffic. That said, I have to wonder just how much we can trust these current stats; and how much they might change if we had a site specifically optimized for mobile browsers.

2. Mike,
    I was surprised about the Android usage as well. I’m not too familiar with the mobile landscape in the UK but your post and comments did put it into perspective.

Curt,
    That is one thing I wasn’t 100% confident in Google’s numbers about putting into the post. We are showing 1.5-1.7% of our traffic coming from a mobile device. Still very low.

I am trying to find a blog entry about an institution that has been using mobile detection and redirection on all their pages. It bugs me that I can’t find it right now but it was super interesting.

3. Hi Nick,

We’ve now added mobile browser detection and redirection to every page on our site, but haven’t activated it because we don’t yet have a mobile website to redirect them to! We’re using Tera WURFL and some PHP voodoo to inject information into each page. I’ll blog about it in the next week or so.

4. On the commercial side, nearly every new/potential client asks me if I make mobile sites or mobile friendly sites. iPhone/iPod is still the name of the game but this shows Android gaining faster than I expected. Thanks Nick. Very interesting.