May 29 / Tevin Monroe

Warrior Weekend – A Hearty Hello!

Well hello there everyone!

Allow me to introduce myself… I’m your newest student blogger, Tevin!

I’m a junior studying Nutrition and Food Science. You might probably guess by my major that I’m a huge foodie, and you’d be right. This summer, I’m living and working in the Towers Residential Suites. I also work as a university tour guide and a member of the WSU street squad. This is my first summer in Detroit, and I couldn’t be more excited to explore the city with you all!

I’m sure we all get that feeling when we’re sitting in our bedrooms while all of our friends are home for the summer, and we’re thinking, what is there to do? Well, thankfully, Detroit doesn’t take a summer break! I’ll be showing you all just a taste of what the city has to offer on the weekends. So without further ado, here’s some of the happenings this weekend!

Detroit Grand Prix

May 29-31st, Belle Isle; The Grand Prix is finally here! The event takes place on Belle Isle, and the weather is supposed to be beautiful. If you haven’t had a chance to see Belle Isle in all of its renovated beauty, now is your chance. And the next time you register your license plate, make sure to add the state park sticker to get into Belle Isle for free! The Grand Prix is taking place all weekend, so check out the website (linked to above) for more information about ticket pricing and event times.

College for Creative Studies Student Exhibition

May 29th, 10a-8p, CCS New Center campus; It’s always nice to connect with the other school that’s right in our neighborhood. CCS students have been putting on an annual student exhibition for years now (this is the 90th annual event!) and they have some really cool pieces to display and sell. This weekend marks the end of the event, so this is your last chance to check out the exhibit before it’s gone! While you’re out there supporting CCS, make sure you point some students back towards your favorite university by wearing your WSU gear.

Windows on Frida Opening Night Reception

May 30th, 5-9p, Cafe Con Leche Nord in New Center; In celebration of the DIA’s exhibit on Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera’s lives and artwork, Cafe Con Leche Nord is hosting a reception of artwork inspired by Kahlo and Rivera. The artwork includes fashion, jewelry, paintings, and ceramics by local artists. The cafe opened in January, less than a mile from campus, and is definitely a great local place to get some studying done.

Eastern Market Saturdays!

May 30th, 6a-4p; It’s worth the reminder! Eastern Market has Saturday markets all year long, but as summer approaches, we’ll see more fresh produce and more activity! The market is open from 6 until 4 every Saturday, and it’s always best to get there early. From campus, it’s about a mile away, so it’s easily bikeable or walkable. Get a few friends, run to an ATM beforehand, and we’ll see you on Saturday morning!

Well, that’s about it for this time. Sonali and I will be switching off for the rest of the summer, so you’ll be hearing more from both of us! Don’t forget to sign up for our weekly email subscription and share this blog on your social media. It’s our job to prevent you from ever being able to truly say, “I have nothing to do this weekend.”

Your favorite warrior blogger,

Tevin

One Comment

1. MichelleNo Gravatar / May 29 2015

You two are so awesome! Keep up the great work!!