Apr 27 / Amanda Vorce

Reflection on Motivating

Rutisha Warren

A few days ago, I attempted my first Read Aloud.   I would have to say, it was pretty fun for me as well as for my audience. Not only are Read Alouds fun, exciting, and all of that good stuff, they offer educational benefits and motivate youngsters to actually read.   Here’s why…

Now-days it is extremely difficult to interest children with reading. Times have changed so much due to technology, that all children want to do is play the video game, iPad, or browse the internet on their laptop or computer. According to Reading Motivation: What the Research Says, “Research confirms that student motivation is a key factor in successful reading” (Gambrell & Marinak, 2009). With this being said, librarians and parents must become involved and creative in motivating children to read. After completing the Read Aloud with my audience, I realized a number of things I did to motivate children to read more. First, effectively promoting the Read Along and properly setting the right atmosphere helps to motivate youngsters to read. Many can recall a time when a parent would tuck them into bed, turn off the light, and shut the door, with the idea that their child would soon after drift off to sleep. Little did they know, you actually stayed up three more hours reading with the help of a night light or flash light under the covers. This is because this was the perfect reading environment; and adults can learn a great motivation trick by mirroring this. Secondly, encouraging a group discussion after the Read Aloud, stimulates their ability to express their thoughts and fosters the learning of some Common Core Standards. Based on an article titled, The Power of Read Aloud in the Age of Common Core, “Common Core ELA Standards for speaking and listening require students to participate in a range of conversations and collaborations, require students to be able to express their ideas clearly and persuasively, and require students to be able to adapt their speech to a variety of contexts” (Johnston, 2015). Discussions after reading are very important and help children feel confident about their reading comprehension. Next, by using gestures, voices, and expressions, Read Alouds help to motivate children in the learning of oral language and fluency thereof. Moreover, Read Alouds provide to opportunity for children to “see the ways in which the language of a book differs from that of spoken language, patterns and structure of written language….and the learning of new words…” (Johnston, 2015). Lastly, although I did not initially take this into consideration while completing my presentation, I have come to realize that Read Alouds provide the opportunity to intermingle with children of other ethnic backgrounds and culture. According to, The Power of Read Aloud in the Age of Common Core, “Banks (2003) suggested using books that portrayed accurate historical facts or perspectives in order to teach concepts of cultural similarities and differences, as well as reduce discrimination and stereotypes” (Johnston, 2015).  The gathering of children with diverse cultures coupled with reading books with diverse cultures, children have the opportunity to engage, interact, and read amongst each other socially; Deep Blue of the Waterfire Saga is a great book that models such, since is describes characters of diverse cultures.  Children feel more comfortable and motivated when they can read material in which they can relate in terms of culture; so books with a diversity of culture may just be a plus for everyone. These are just a few things that I learned about my experience presenting a Read Aloud in terms of motivating children to read. One thing that I didn’t do for the presentation that I could add the next time would be to provide the opportunity for the children to read some as well. This will boost their confidence reading in front of an audience as well as aid in building on their reading skills.

For tips on motivating children to read, check out these website:

References

Oezkus, L. (2012). The Power of Reading Aloud to Your Students. Retrieved from: http://www.reading.org/Libraries/books/bk813-2-oczkus.pdf

Gambrell, L. & Marinak, B. (2009). Reading Motivation What the Research Says. Retrieved from: http://www.readingrockets.org/article/reading-motivation-what-research-says

Johnston, V. (2015). The Power of the Read Aloud in the Age Common Core. Retrieved from http://www.bentham-open.com/contents/pdf/TOCOMMJ/TOCOMMJ-9-34.pdf