Oct 2 / Douglas Peacock

We want your Transfer Students!

I spend a lot of time thinking “What is attractive to a transfer student?” Why does a transfer student choose one institution over another? Transfer students have already made one smart decision by starting at a community college. And, make no mistake. Colleges still want you! Do you ever see a college representative sitting at a table in your cafeteria or hallway. That means they want to speak to you. Table visits are still the biggest way schools start the connection process with community college students. So stop by! But what is next? Transfer Open House, Coffee and Credits, Transfer Advisors visiting your campus, Transfer Tuesday (seems every school does this) ,or lots of phone calls gearing you to enroll. Everything is done to gear you to get started at that 4-year school. What is important to you to get started? Come up with this idea and you will be a fantastic leader in higher ed?

What did I want? Since every transfer student is different and come in so many different ways. I thought I would share my experience transferring. I never visited the school I attended. I never had them evaluate my credits. I just liked the name. Never met an advisor. There is no amount of info sessions or reaching out that school could do to get me to start. I was focused on college classes. We often forget that transfer students are already in college level courses. Some work. So, doing all that extra stuff isn’t always possible. I’ve jotted down what was important to me:

• I wanted to be admitted directly to the business program. I remember being angry when I was admitted and I was put as Undeclared.
  • I did not want to take anything but business courses. Did not happen.
  • Price. A lot of my decision was based on the bottom line. I’m the kind of person that will go to the school because they waived the app. fee.
  • I wanted to get away. But, not too far away. I think of other schools that try and recruit transfer students from a much longer distance.
  • I figured I would really figure the rest out when I got there! Which I did and you will too!