Aug 15 / Douglas Peacock

University Specific Gen-Eds

It’s back to school time for Transfer Students! Some fall ’19 students are still considering starting at a 2-year or a 4-year. This next blog will be good for you if you are still deciding.

I haven’t posted in a while so I wanted to do a quick one on what happens with University Specific Gen-Eds. Remember when you start at a University, you are going to do that schools general education. If you decide to transfer to another school you will be going into that schools general education. Which will be different than your current school. This difference can be course related and group related. For example: Wayne State offers a course called “Detroit by the numbers” This will fulfill the Math requirement for Gen-Eds at Wayne. If you took that class and decided to transfer to most other schools. It would be unlikely that another school will have a class like that.

The group difference is that you are taking the courses to fulfill the gen-ed group at your school. Another school will have a different group. The courses to fulfill gen-eds varies from each school, although there usually some overlap.

I try to do these blogs based on a lot of the conversations that I am currently having with students. University Specific Gen-Eds is something most students figure out the hard way. If you are thinking of transferring, it is usually best to start at a community college. The courses there are more generally accepted at other schools.

My next blog will be looking at the Fall 2020 students. Let’s get planning!