Fiction

Recently, a friend of mine asked why people enjoy fantastical things like Harry Potter or even Star Wars. He didn’t understand the point. “It’s not even real and it probably never will be.” At the time, I couldn’t come up with a half-way decent answer.

I think that there’s a lot to be gained from fiction. We take a great deal from all stories in general – whether they’re true or not. If there is a concept that at least one person can relate to on a deep level, isn’t it worth telling? Isn’t it worth sharing? If there’s a story with something really fictitious in it – like huge, flying dragons – yet the entire plot revolves around love and loss and how characters deal with it, does that make the story any less profound or meaningful? I don’t think it does, and many others take fiction into their hands happily, too.

There are a great deal of people who are bored by day to day reality. I know I do. A fictional world with a powerful character that can do anything is a happy escape and it doesn’t need to be criticized so harshly in our society. Life can be tedious and difficult, and if there are ways to get away from it for just a little bit, isn’t that a good thing?

From General
Posted by Tori Leigh on December 30, 2017
1 Comment
  1. 01/3/2018

Good post. I’m facing many of these issues as well..