Sarah Kominek is unreasonably scared of volleyballs

Shooting sports was the assignment I’d been dreading the most this semester. I’ve always had a fear of volleyball in particular, but this was the only sports assignment that fit into my schedule. I managed to keep myself from ducking every single time the ball only slightly flew in my general direction, but I wanted to and I did at least a few times. I don’t keep it a secret that I understand very little about sports, other than the basic appreciation of teamwork and camaraderie, and have very little interest in covering it as a journalist. With so little basic understanding of gameplay and terminology, I struggled to write captions for these photos as well.

Shooting the assignment didn’t seem difficult, with the exception of having a difficult time finding a correct white balance, but that was easily corrected in photoshop. I kept my shutter speed short to have stopped motion for the action and kept my ISO high as well. The biggest challenge during shooting was finding a good fan feature- there wasn’t a large crowd and they weren’t extremely reactive, luckily one man in the crowd brought some pom-poms and cheered often. I think what I learned the most about in this assignment was jumping through the hoops of finding a Wayne State game that was appropriate for photographing and acquiring the proper permissions.

All jokes aside, shooting this assignment wasn’t as awful as I was expecting it to be. I appreciated watching the players supporting each other and doing something they enjoy.

Fan Reaction

Lens (mm): 105
ISO: 6400
Aperture: 5.6
Shutter: 1/1250

Fans cheering on Wayne State University’s volleyball team at the game April 7.

Team Reaction

Lens (mm): 70
ISO: 6400
Aperture: 5.3
Shutter: 1/1250

Teammates Grace Frazee,  Ellie Rodriguez, Natalie Breault, Haley Tenelshof and Hailey Richardson pictured supporting their teammates during their game April 7.

Action

Lens (mm): 28
ISO: 6400
Aperture: 4.5
Shutter: 1/1250

Northern Michigan’s Kelsey Hackman and Tayler Smith, defend against Wayne State’s Hailey Richardson, Ellie Rodriguez and Haley Tenelshof at the game April 7.

Coach

Lens (mm): 66
ISO: 6400
Aperture: 5.3
Shutter: 1/1250

Julia Malewicz of Macomb, Mich. listens to WSU volleyball head coach Tim Koth at the game April 7.

Posted by Sarah Jack (Kominek) on April 14, 2018