Nov 18 / Marta Puskarz

Process Part 1: Fictional Letterform

The first thing we did when starting this project was to practice drawing letterforms from the 3 main typeface categories: Old Style, Transitional and Modern. Since I worked with Baskerville (a transitional typeface) for Project 2, I only had to practice with Adobe Garamond Pro (Old Style) and Didot (Modern). Here are a couple photos of this point in the process:

img007 img010 img008

The next step was to choose one of the two typefaces you worked with, and start analyzing the features that make it fit into its particular typeface family. I chose to work with Didot and the “modern” family. We had to first draw out details and point out characteristics like serifs or terminal shape. Here is my work, detailing the characteristics of Didot:

DSC_0667   typscan2

Finally (for this part of process!) we had to combine letters and characteristics to create new letterforms that would match the rest of the typeface. This was the pivotal part of the process for me because it really helped me understand the Modern typeface family. It was important that the experimental letters had the same criteria as the other letters in Didot- flat, thin serifs, vertical axis, rounded terminals, and dramatic stroke variation. Here are some of my experimental letters:

typscan4  DSC_0671  typscan6

After this, we had to choose the best options from our experimental letters and digitize them. See the next post for further process! 🙂