Jun 19 / Kristyl Jaramillo

Going Cold Sheep: Destash 2015

Last week I took the time to catalogue my current collection of yarn to prepare myself for taking a Cold Sheep challenge. I got the idea from a Ravelry group, who decided that with 2015 as the Year of the Ram they would take it upon themselves to work only from their current yarn stash and not make any yarn purchases for the rest of this year. I decided to take up this challenge as well, as the idea intrigued me and I had a couple of personal reasons to do so:

I have a lot of yarn.

Thanks to inheriting other people’s yarn stashes and a couple impulsive purchases, my room is quite cramped with storage containers full of yarn. There’s yarn located under my bed, in my nightstand drawer, on my bookshelf, next to the book shelf and under my desk. Although organized, I’d like to take out some of these containers and get some free space in my room. Plus at this point it feels as if I’m hiding my yarn out of shame, which I shouldn’t.

I can’t just do charity work through my student organization.

I’ll admit that I’ve been lazy with doing creative charity work. I’ve been working hard to try and get Warm Up Detroit on its feet, but I cannot let that be the reason why I’m not charity work myself. Therefore, I aim to have majority of my finished projects from this challenge go to hospitals near my university. Places I’m looking forward to donate to are the Henry Ford Hospital, DMC Children’s Hospital, and the VA Medical Center.

I need to let go of my attachment to my collection.

I love my wide variety of yarn, but what’s the point in having them if they’re not being used? There’s 4 skeins of very nice yarn I was gifted, and have been sitting in a container under my bed for almost a year and a half because of worrying of not using it on a project “worthy” enough. I need to stop worrying about trivial matters like that and just be more willing to part with yarn for projects. I actually had a problem with dividing yarn projects because I was worried about giving “too much” away!

I need to work on reducing my purchases.

This isn’t too big of a problem, but it still exists and I would like to address it. Retail therapy is fun once in a while, but I really have to budget more after paying for my MCAT fees. Plus, what’s the point in buying more yarn if I don’t have adequate storage space in the first place? Besides not buying yarn, I have also restricted myself from buying any other crafting supplies (the Dollar Deals at Michaels are my downfall!) to really make this a challenge on myself. So far so good, as my last major purchase was in late May!

What I hope to take away from this experience:

I want to see how resourceful and creative I can get with the yarn I have on hand, and also how long I can manage to go without making any crafting-related purchases. I’m rather interested to see how much I saved by going Cold Sheep for as long as I can!

(While I assure you most of the Cold Sheep projects will be going towards charity, there will be a part of my stash going towards creating new crochet patterns and items to sell around late fall. Not only can you enjoy reading about my experience in this challenge, but you can also own a piece of it soon!)