NOTES ON THE READING
Kerning- Kerning is an adjustment of the space between two letters.
Tracking- Adjusting the overall spacing of a group of letters is called tracking or letterspacing.
Line Spacing- The distance from the baseline of one line of type to another is called line spacing.
Leading- The strips of lead used to separate lines of metal type.
Alignment- The four modes of alignment (centered, justified, flush left, and flush right)
Hierarchy- A typographic hierarchy expresses the organization of content, emphasizing some elements and subordinating others.
Versals- Enlarged capitals, also called versals, commonly mark the entrance to a chapter in a book or an article in a magazine.
The Grand Design (p.17-35)
- The first task of the typographer is to read and understand the text; the second task is to analyze and map it.
- The typographic performance must reveal, not replace, the inner composition.
- Choose and use type with sensitivity and intelligence.
- The moment text and typeface are chosen two streams of thought, two rhythmical systems, two sets of habits, or if you like, two personalities,intersect.
- When the type is poorly chosen, what the words say linguistically and what the letters imply visually are disharmonious, dishonest, out of tune.
- Shaping the page goes hand in hand with choosing the type.
Typographers should perform these services for the readers:
- invite the reader into the text
- reveal the tenor and meaning of the text
- clarify the structure and the order of the text
- link the text with other existing elements
- introduce a state of energetic repose, which is ideal condition for reading
- Grids are often used in magazine design.
- Modular scales serve much the same purpose as grids, but they are more flexible.
- Modular scales are prearranged set of harmonious proportions. The measuring stick units are invisible and are not of uniform size.
For all beauty pure geometry, a perfectly square block of type on a perfectly square page with even margins all around is a form to unlikely encourage reading.