Project 4 Constrained Systems
Part 1: Thumbnail Sketch
For this part of the project we each individually received a noun and an adjective. We had to decide to use one basic shape. Either circles or squares. So we are assigned to do 30 thumbnail sketches of of each of our words and find connotations to help us express these thumbnails in a circle and square form. Then we had a mini critique and reviewed our thumbnails to get a better idea of our next step of our project.
With the thumbnail sketches we had to also help to find the definition, connotations, and images of each of our words to help us research and get a better idea.
Part 2: Modular System
After strategizing and getting feed back on the thumbnails we used our drawing to move forward to illustrator. This portion of the project we had chosen what shape we preferred. Mine was circle. In Illustrator we determine a Grid structure for your modular system (per word). Then worked with Snap to Grid and grid boxes. These tools helped the shapes for a similar shape. They were helpful tools to make our project look neat and well executed.
The next portion we could choose to use as many letters as we wanted from each of our word and design it on illustrator. I chose to use the whole word of Spontaneous because shortening it didn’t make sense to me. Then I uses Disappear for the work Disappearance. That one I felt comfortable shortening.
Part 3: Hierarchy Charette
Here we had to use the letters from one of your word design of our choice and then form it into a typographic poster measuring: 22 x 34 (four 11 x 17 tiled). On the poster we had to include Name,Class,Brief description of how your modular letterforms is communicating the connotations up to 150 words, Project Name, Semester, Name of instructor, use 9 column grid, use either Helvetica or Garamond family only, and finally to use the Template Provided on blackboard for InDesign.
My chosen word:
My Font Family preference:
I chose Helvetica because the word I formed appears to look modern with no san serifs. Just like Helvetica.
Part 4: Final design Layouts
Final Format 1 ( for my 2 words: Spontaneous and Disapper)
• Black and white laser printed.
• Flush mounted to black presentation board.
Tabloid, 11” x 17” horizontal/landscape orientation.
1 Tabloid page per word.
• 15.5” x 9” frame with 1.5 point black rule, no fill, within the page size • Frame positioned at:
.75” top margin .75” left margin
• Work optically centered horizontally in the 15.5”x9” frame. • Optically centered vertically as appropriate.
• Positioned at 10” from top, .75” from left, include the following four lines of information:
• One line for your word set in 8pt/10pt Helvetica Bold with the connotations you are exploring and communicating through form set in 8pt/10pt Helvetica Regular.
• One line for the project number and name, class, year, instructor, year all set in 8pt/10pt Helvetica Regular.
One line for your name set in 8pt/10pt Helvetica Bold.
Final Format 2 ( for the 1 word I chose: Disappear)
Print your Charette poster, tiled on four 11” x 17” sheets. Hand-assemble the tiles into a complete, 22” x 34” poster. The quality of the assembly matters here. Print with enough “overlap” between the tiled pages, so that nothing is cut off and so you can easily align content.
Submit the other two posters, each reduced on to 11×17 page.
This project was a skill builder it helps us learn how to use the tools in illustrator and learn how to create our own font. I enjoyed using the tools it helps me keep everything organized and made it easier to work on my project. We used basic tools such as the grid guides and the snap guide. From this project I learned that sometimes it’s not just about making an awesome design, but how you plan on executing it.
Making a font family is not as easy as it seems it takes time and discipline with tools and a lot of organization. You have to be meticulous with the project because every detail counts. It is not about making something up on the fly. I learned throughout this class not just this project that being a typographer takes a lot of discipline and a lot of thought before creating anything. There’s a lot of competition and a number of unique fronts that have already been made. It takes massive creativity and a lot of brainstorming to create a new and unique font family.