With the warm summer months approaching, it is important that the body gets all of the nourishment that it needs. Many of us have heard about the importance of electrolytes, so this post will quickly go over why electrolytes are needed, recipes to make electrolyte drinks at home, and natural food sources that can provide the many nutrients that contribute to a healthy body.
Electrolytes are needed for survival. They conduct electricity when they are combined with water, and inside of the body they intermingle to support healthy functions in nerve cells, tissue, and muscle. Insufficient electrolytes levels can lead to symptoms like muscle twitches, fatigue, and irregular heartbeats. You can avoid these problems by ingesting enough sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, chloride, and bicarbonate.
How do you get all of these nutrients? The good news is that electrolyte drinks can be made at home easily without all of the additives found in some products. These drinks can also help fight infections in the body, physical exertion, and dehydration. Here are some recipes that do not require many ingredients:
- DIY Electrolyte Drink
- Lemon-Ginger Electrolyte Drink
- Natural Sports Electrolyte Drink
- Homemade Citrus Electrolyte Drink
Food that naturally replenishes electrolytes include:
- Coconut Water: This refreshing drink is packed with benefits. It has a high potassium content, antioxidant properties, and the ability to lower blood pressure.
- Leafy Greens: Salads can most definitely give the body an electrolyte boost. Spinach, swiss chard, bok choy, and kale are high in electrolytes and minerals.
- Lemons: Lemons are known for their ability to become alkaline in the body, balance pH levels, and give a dose of vitamin C. They can also replenish magnesium, potassium, and calcium.
- Sea Salt: Sodium is lost through sweating but it can be easily replaced by ingesting a pinch of Celtic sea salt or Himalayan pink salt. Salt is extremely rich in calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
Metagenics also has natural lemonade flavored powder that can be taken on the go. It leaves out anything artificial and is formulated to support fluid balance, replenish sodium and potassium levels in the body, and boost exercise performance.