It is often very easy to get caught up in our daily stresses of school and work. Many of us put our health on the back burner and look for easier, usually unhealthier, dinner options while neglecting our nutritional needs. This post will go over some of the nutrients every young adult needs on a daily basis and ways to incorporate a healthy lifestyle into our busy lives.
The 10 main essential vitamins include:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin A has the ability to protect the eyes, support the immune system, reduce the likelihood of acne, support healthy bones, and promote healthy growth.
- B Vitamins
- The benefits of B vitamins are numerous. They ensure that nerves stay healthy, protect the brain and immune system, combat everyday stress, and boost energy.
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin C is known as the vitamin that boosts the immune system. However, it also is essential for excellent cardiovascular health.
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin D is extremely beneficial for the body. A majority of young adults have a deficiency in Vitamin D. It can lower inflammatory markers in the body, prevent certain psychiatric diseases, help with autoimmune disorders, and help with insulin resistance in diabetic individuals.
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin E helps the immune system, brain, skin, vision, and reproduction systems in the body. It has vital antioxidant properties. Antioxidants essentially counteract the negative effects of free radicals in the body. Free radicals are created by stress and can cause long-term damage to the body.
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin K is extremely important because it plays a role in healthy blood clotting. It helps produce four of the thirteen proteins needed for clotting.
- Magnesium can help calm the nervous system and encourage deep sleep. It also can help alleviate anxiety symptoms and keep the brain healthy.
- Calcium is needed for strong bones. The heart also needs satisfactory amounts of calcium in order to function properly.
- Zinc is particularly great for the immune system. It encourages proper wound healing and can provide a shorten the span of a cold.
- Iron plays a huge role in the production of red blood cells. It carries oxygenated blood to the brain and can help with neurotransmitter synthesis.
Figuring out a morning routine can help ensure that vitamins are taken every day. Meal prepping on the weekends can also help with keeping away from unhealthy foods throughout the week. It is also important to find a way to stay active. It can be as simple as dancing in your room for thirty minutes, walking around campus for a set time, finding an at-home workout to follow, or doing some simple yoga poses to stretch your body.
As always, it is crucial to find reputable brands for supplements. It is important to avoid brands that add fillers, dyes, or preservatives. Some recommendations for supplement brands are Douglas Laboratories, Standard Process, and Life Extension.