Posts from the ‘General’ Category
Project 3: Letterform Reflection
As a precursor to designing my own unique letterform, it was helpful to sketch existing letterforms in Baskerville and Didot. This technique helped me get comfortable with which one of the two I would be using to design my unique letterform. I decided to use Didot. When initially sketching my conceptual letterforms I aimed to find balance and flow within the new letterform by testing which characteristics of certain letters meshed well with each other. After feedback, I was able to target which concept I would further develop.
I decided to choose a difficult concept I was working with. It is composed of the letters s, g, and y. The letters were rearranged them to make them fit better with the Didot typeface. I straightened the serif be completely vertical which is how it would appear in Didot. I altered the tail of the y to extend directly from the s instead of including the g, and also omitted the loop of the g. This helped the balance and flow, and prevented the components from getting overly muddled. This also helped keep the new letterform sized to the appropriate height and width for the typeface. The final modification I made was to extend the serif further to the right to line up with the tail of the y. This gave the letterform a much cleaner look.
With my final letterform created it was sent for laser cutting. When it was returned I was able to spray paint the physical letterform with two coats of shellac. This was to give it more strength due the hairline features of the Didot typeface. I then finished it off with a glossy black. This was intended to give the photos a sleek, wet look that would look good from all angles.
Initially, I struggled a bit with laying out my poster. Images and text were all similar in size. There was not much variance in typeface and font. Once again with feedback and guidance, I decided to go big or go home. I scaled the “Soy” letterform to the length of the poster and anchored it to the right side of the page. I then anchored the bottom of the page with a block of color, and followed the grid system to place my process work in a methodical manner while labeling the process along the way. The most important details were positioned in the top left of the poster and followed a hierarchy with font size, bold, and italic fonts. Lastly, the glossy physical letterform photos were reserved for the middle of the poster, and helps lead one’s eye and create balance with the other components of the poster. A great portion of the improvement in the poster is directly related to my use with my new friend the grid system.
For the font mannerisms assignment I was given the font family Adobe Garamond Pro. It was helpful to layer the regular, bold, italic and italic bold versions over one another. This made it easy to see the specific differences each category possesses. It was also informative to display the increasing font size and leading with our eight descriptive words and how they interact with one another.
Moving on to section 2.1, the creative portrayal of a part of the anatomy with the use of color assisted once again in determining the varying factors of each font category; and how each part of the anatomy differs from each other. I feel mine were successful with representing the difference in each part of the anatomy chosen and visually appealing also. I also greatly benefited from homework section 2.2 . My composition got much better after the critique and comparison of the good and bad things that other students were doing. This was mostly in part to sticking to an organized theme, and decreasing font size for the identifying titles for each part of the anatomy.
In section 3, we chose 2 of our 8 adjectives that we created for our font family in section 1. For each of the two adjectives we added 8 more adjectives to help us guide our design of using two or more glyphs. I had a lot of fun with this section. It had more to do with design, but while designing I began to notice more of the nuances between the glyph characteristics within the font family. My goal for this section of the assignment was to really create a strong sense of balance in all 20 compositions. Some worked out better than others, but I am very happy with the majority of them.
It was informative to use a wire binding on this project. I had previously not used that method, but I understand why we will no longer be using that method for the remainder of this class. I can think of some uses for it going forward, but will refrain from using it for the most part. I feel that I was successful in this project and learned a lot along the way.