A Letter from Me to You

Dear Reader,

If there’s anything that I know for sure, it is that I know very little of anything.

I’m sure you can identify with this feeling of uncertainty. We all have had self-doubt, setbacks, failures, and people either telling us that we can’t make it, or that even if we did become successful at what we’re aiming to do, that it probably still isn’t a great idea.

Being someone whose gotten the privilege to keep a blog like this on Wayne State’s website, I feel a responsibility to you as a reader to write posts that are relevant to you. But this letter is coming out of four failed attempts to write anything worth taking a look at.

Isn’t it like clockwork, to be trying to write about creativity and then to hit a wall?

It’s a temptation to take this platform and to focus on the empowering, transformational, and fascinating things about studying art, and to make it clear that everything is going to work out fine for you. However, the truth is that most situations in life rarely work out in the way we think they will. (Which isn’t meant to be read with a negative connotation. This can be good, bad, and everything in-between). Although studying art is empowering, transformational, and fascinating… it is also an endless uphill climb.

It’s easy to fall into the trap of feeling as if you need to prove something, whether you are in or out of the studio. The truth is, sometimes we do have something to prove, and sometimes we don’t. The older that I’ve become (currently I’m 20) the less I feel like any kind of authority, or that I have certainty about anything. For example, the task of writing about creativity is something that’s difficult, because exercising creativity in life is something I’m still personally figuring out.

After two years of art school, I’m experiencing the most confusion I’ve ever felt during my college experience. The reason I’m disclosing this with you is because at this point it’s important. It’s important to be reminded that we all go through periods of time where we’re confused, frustrated, or straight up struggling. There is truth in the saying that things don’t get easier, you get stronger.

If you inquire the people around you, you’ll notice that most of them are still in the process of figuring out what they do, think, and what they believe in, no matter what their age may be. It’s a continual process that has no linear path or order.

So, today instead of trying to give you a piece of my own wisdom, below are some quotes from people much wiser. These have helped me with dealing with uncertainty, so hopefully they will also be helpful to you:

“The first product of self knowledge is humility.”
-Flannery O’Connor

“Creativity comes from trust. Trust your instincts! And never hope more than you work.”
-Rita Mae Brown

“Sometimes you’ve got to let everything go – purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything… whatever brings you down, get rid of it. Because you’ll find that when you’re free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
-Tina Turner

“No matter how big your house is, or how new your car is, and how big your bank account is, our grave will be the same size. Stay humble.”
-Unknown

“Hardships often prepare ordinary people for extraordinary destinies.” – C.S. Lewis

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
-Mark Twain

There you go. Keep on moving forward. To those of you who are reading this, thank you for taking the time out of your day. I wish you the best in what you’re doing, and that you stay passionate.

Sincerely,

Em

From General
Posted by Emily Borden on October 30, 2015