Sep 29 / Dina Djedovic

Why did I pick Wayne State University?

My heart may be in my birth country, Bosnia, but my home is in Michigan. I’ve spent twenty years of my life in Michigan, and have created an entire life here. One of the biggest life decisions young adults can make is picking the college they will attend for a minimum of four years. This is not an easy choice to make. There are many variables to consider when choosing an university, such as cost of attendance, location, programs available, etc. The main reason I chose the University of Wayne state is because it is located in one of my favorite cities, Detroit, a city filled with beauty, diversity, and a vast amount of history. Detroit has had many ups and downs economically and demographically. In the 1920s, the automobile industry put Detroit on the map. The industry created thousands of jobs and the population of Detroit grew rapidly. At its peak, almost two million people were living in Detroit. On the other hand, when auto-makers moved their businesses out of Detroit and into the metropolitan areas, many people followed the auto-makers and the population declined drastically. In recent times, many businesses have moved into Detroit. For instance, Quicken Loans moved its headquarters to downtown Detroit in 2010. Not only is Quicken Loans helping to revitalize downtown Detroit, but Meridian Health Plan is another growing company employing thousands of people in the city. Recently, Meridian Health Plan sold to WellCare for $2.5 billion dollars making it the biggest HMO deal in Michigan history. In other great news, many investors like Dan Gilbert are taking historical abandoned buildings and restoring them. According to Business Insider, Dan Gilbert’s company, Bedrock’s, has invested and allocated a total of $5.6 billion into the city. One of Dan Gilbert’s restoration projects that I am looking forward to is the renovation of the beautiful Book Tower building. Sadly, the Book Tower building has been neglected for years, but soon the building will offer office and retail space, as well as residential units. In addition, many new projects have wrapped up like the Little Caesars Arena and QLine. As a result of the construction of the Little Caesars Arena, all four professional Detroit sports teams will be in downtown Detroit for the first time. So much development is happening in Detroit at the moment and it is a wonderful time to live, work, learn, and play downtown. I am very happy that I am a part of rebuilding Detroit. I am currently studying photography at Wayne State University and this city has given me a great deal of inspiration. Over the years, I have taken many photographs of this redeveloping city and it is so exciting to see people putting their time and energy into restoring Detroit. As I said before, picking to attend Wayne State University was a no brainer, because I truly love my city.

One Comment

1. A WordPress Commenter / Sep 29 2018

Hi, this is a comment.
    To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
    Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.