STUDENT SUCCESS INITIATIVES COORDINATOR
University of Michigan-Dearborn
The University of Michigan-Dearborn (UM-Dearborn) is one of the three campuses of the University of Michigan system. UM-Dearborn is a comprehensive university offering high quality undergraduate, graduate, professional, and continuing education to residents of southeastern Michigan, and currently enrolls just over 9,000 students. Faculty and students have the opportunity to collaborate across all three campuses in research and scholarly activity. UM-Dearborn is located 10 miles west of downtown Detroit and 35 miles east of Ann Arbor. The campus is strategically located on 200 suburban acres of the original Henry Ford Estate in the Greater Detroit Metropolitan Region.
The University of Michigan-Dearborn seeks a dynamic, collaborative leader to serve as its Coordinator for Student Success Initiatives. Under the direction of the Library Director with a dotted reporting line to the Academic Success Coordinator, the Student Success Initiatives Coordinator will assist and work with the Provost Office in advancing the campus’s Student Success Strategic Plan. The Coordinator will provide leadership for the design and implementation of campus-wide initiatives and help coordinate and manage systems used to enhance student retention, persistence, and progression to graduation.
The successful hire will be responsible for managing the implementation and utilization of Navigate, also known as Student Success Collaborative (SSC) which includes establishing, monitoring, and assessing the goals related to the implementation of Navigate. Navigate is a retention management system that combines technology, research, and predictive analytics to help UM-Dearborn positively impact degree completion outcomes for its students. The Coordinator — in collaboration with the Navigate Leadership Team — will work towards establishing processes and systems that advance on the UM-Dearborn campus a coordinated network of support for students which includes the regular review of the referral system, assessing volume, open cases and collaborating with campus users to ensure timely closed cases.
The position involves extensive autonomy and requires someone with initiative who can effectively communicate and collaborate with senior administrators, deans, associate/assistant deans, department chairs, faculty, librarians, professional academic advisors, and academic/student support office directors and staff. The Coordinator will be the lead trainer and subject matter expert for the Navigate system.
- Assist with the continued expansion of Navigate including the coordinated referral system, student access and tutoring expansion.
- Provide assistance in collaborating with colleges, departments and academic support units for utilizing Navigate including campaigns and leveraging data for proactive student interventions. At times, utilize various Navigate functionality to directly connect with students, faculty and/or staff for targeted student outreach and support.
- Coordinate efforts to ensure strong platform utilization across advisors, librarians, faculty and other units. Work with users who are not utilizing the platform to gain their buy-in.
- Coordinate the work of subject-specialist librarians including research instruction, project-based teaching support, thesis advising, undergraduate and graduate research programs and presentation, and digital education
- Assist the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education and Student Success and the Academic Success Coordinator with any new student success and advisement initiatives including but not limited to researching best practices, exploring new technologies, investigating competitor/peer institution practices, analyzing academic policies and more.
- Assist with the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of student success initiatives.
- Coordinate, implement and assess student success campaigns based on SSC data and collaboration with colleges, departments, and academic support resources.
- Obtain and analyze data from Navigate. Share data with appropriate leadership, faculty and staff to inform decision making.
- Manage the Navigate Leadership Team meetings, which includes, but is not limited to, preparing the agenda, developing recommendations for campaigns, and gathering and analyzing data from the SSC to track progress and support recommendations.
- Work independently to develop an annual calendar for updating system resources and related materials. Make necessary updates to advising resources and promote relevant changes to advisors and campus community through the Navigate website.
- Regularly review best practice student success research from the Education Advisory Board and other sources. Share information and as appropriate. Utilize data research to inform recommendations.
- Coordinate with the Office of the Registrar to ensure effective integration with UM-Dearborn’s Student Information System (Banner) as well as work to develop an awareness among stakeholders of how Navigate fits with other student success software systems.
- Conduct system testing during new releases and system updates which occur several times a year. Create documentation as necessary or update existing resources for changes due to updates.
- Coordinate all reported issues and troubleshooting between EAB and UM-Dearborn ITS Office. Utilize the EAB Tech Support ticketing system to track status of submitted issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in the areas of higher education, student services administration, student development, instructional administration, education, planning, counseling or related field and five years of job-related experience.
- Experience with the use of student information and advising/retention systems (preferably Navigate or similar system) is preferred.
- Experience using data to measure and assess progress toward goals and revise practices as needed or directed.
- Ability to network and develop successful collaborative partnerships to benefit students.
- Will present a solid track record in managing academic student success programs and services.
- Evidence of creativity and innovation in problem solving and strategy implementation is required.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to set priorities, handle multiple assignments and deadlines
- Ability to display excellent judgment while operating in a flexible and professional manner; ability to respond positively to changing priorities and receive direction from multiple people
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion
Office environment with typical working hours of 8:00am to 5:00pm
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
- JOB OPENING ID166619
- WORKING TITLEStudent Success Initiatives Coordinator
- JOB TITLEProject Associate Manager
- WORK LOCATIONDearborn Campus
- FULL/PART TIMEFull-Time
- FLSA STATUSNonexempt
- ORGANIZATIONAL GROUPDbn Libry Media Srvs
- DEPARTMENTDbn Mardigian Library
- POSTING BEGIN/END DATE12/18/2018 – 1/19/2019
- SALARY$40,000.00 – $49,000.00
- CAREER INTERESTAdministration