Birth to Five Program – Head Start Teacher
JOB TITLE: Head Start Teacher
LOCATION: Birth to Five Program
Posting Date: August 27, 2018
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
This position plans and implements a program of educational activities for preschool children that encourages growth and development in a variety of areas. The person fulfilling this job promotes a cooperative, constructive relationship with families to ensure the child’s growth/development meets full potential. The teacher provides professional guidance to the Assistant Teacher. This position works under the direction of the Site Leader/Early Education Specialist.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Obtain HighScope teacher certification within one year of hire and maintain quality of Head Start
- Responsible for ensuring that daily activities and interactions reflect the mission and goals of the
- Assist individual children in need of special attention, including provide and model additional
individualized support as needed.
- Assist with physical safety and emotional security of the children.
- Plan and implement a program of educational activities for pre-school age children, including
writing a daily lesson plan that specifies a daily schedule toward the achievement of specific
curriculum goals as written in education component plan.
- Work together with the teacher assistant as a team, in assisting with planning and implementing
daily programming for pre-school children utilizing the HighScope curriculum and COR (Child
- Create a clean, safe environment that is conducive to learning, promoting social relationships.
- Observe the accomplishments of the children on a regular basis, through the use of daily written
anecdotal notes, and reports progress to parents/guardians
- Plan and document Child Outcome activities, support strategies, and interactions according to
COR data and gains each quarter.
- Plan, implement, and update ongoing individual learning plans for each child in the classroom.
- Plan and conduct two conferences and two home visits per child per year.
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education/Child Development or a bachelor’s in a related
field with experience teaching preschool age children
- Previous professional experience working with preschoolers
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
RESPOND TO: Shaquanna Meeks, MHRM, Human Resources Generalist
313-255-0900 ext. 1228
Equal Opportunity Employer