Birth to Five Program – Head Start Assistant Teacher
JOB TITLE: Head Start Assistant Teacher
LOCATION: Birth to Five Program
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
This is a part year position that assists the teacher in planning and implementing a program of educational activities for preschool children that encourages growth and development in a variety of areas. The person fulfilling this job promotes cooperative, constructive relationships with families to ensure the child’s growth and development meet full potential. The employee must be willing to engage in professional development efforts as available to the position and required by their supervisor. This position works under the direction of the Site Leader/ Education Specialist and the Head Start Teacher.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Work with the teacher in assisting with planning and implementing daily programming for preschool children utilizing the High Scope curriculum and COR (Child Observation Record).
- Assist individual children in need of special attention, as instructed by the teacher.
- Assume responsibility of classroom operation in the absence of the teacher.
- Work with the teacher to ensure that daily activities and interactions reflect the mission and goals of the program.
- Assist in creating and maintaining a safe, inviting and accepting environment for children and their families
- Assist in planning and preparing materials Assist in the creation of a clean, safe classroom environment that is conducive to learning and promoting social relationships
- Assist teacher in duties relating to the supervision of lunch and snack periods
- Maintain confidentiality of information related to home and school environment
- Maintain a positive and professional working relationship that is sensitive and accepting of differences with staff and families
- CDA or Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education/Child Development preferred.
- Previous professional experience working with preschool age children
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
RESPOND TO: Shaquanna Meeks, MHRM, Human Resources Generalist
313-255-0900 ext. 1228
Equal Opportunity Employer