Michigan Math and Science Academy – Special Education Resource Room Teacher
Health and Dental Insurance
401K (matched up to 5%)
8 sick/personal days ($100 reimbursement for every unused day)
In addition to an overwhelming sense of pride in your work, the Michigan Math & Science Academy offers many additional opportunities for professional growth and supplemental compensation for time worked.
Primary Role and Purpose:
Provide students with appropriate educational activities and experiences that will enable them to fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical and social growth. Help students develop the skills necessary to be a productive member of society.
Bachelor’s Degree in Education, with appropriate teacher certification. Any endorsement.
• Understanding of subjects assigned.
• Working knowledge of curriculum and instruction.
• Capable of instructing students and managing their behavior.
• Exceptional organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
At least student teaching experience required.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Design, write and use lesson plans that conform to the schools curriculum. Ensure written plans are available for review.
• Ensure lesson plans show modifications for differences in student learning styles.
• Teach instructional subjects according to guidelines established by Michigan Learning Standards, school polices and administrative regulations.
• Implement appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials and equipment to ensure comprehension of learning styles and student needs.
• Design instructional activities by using data from student learning style assessments.
• Collaborate with special education teachers on student Individual Education Plans to ensure all modifications are met.
• Collaborate with staff to determine school requirement for the instructional goals, objective and methods.
• Produce and oversee teacher aide and volunteer assignments.
• Employ technology practices to strengthen the instructional process.
Growth and Development
• Help students assess and enhance their study methods and habits.
• Produce formal and informal testing to evaluate student success.
• Coordinate and manage extracurricular duties as assigned. Sponsor outside activities approved by the school Director.
• Serve as an example for students, support mission of school.
Classroom Management and Organization
• Prepare classroom to enhance learning and to aid in physical, social and emotional development of students.
• Control student behavior in agreement with the student handbook.
• Ensure necessary and reasonable measures are taken to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
• Provide input on book, equipment and material selection.
• Establish communication rapport with parents, students, administrators, and teachers through conferences.
• Create and maintain a professional relationship with colleagues, students, parents and community members.
• Present information accurately through clear communication skills.
• Enrich job skills through professional development activities.
• Keep up to date on and abide by state and school regulations and policies for classroom teachers.
• Gather, manage, and file all reports, records and other documents required.
• Be active in faculty meeting and assist in staff committees as necessary.
Oversee assigned teacher aide.
Job Related Conditions:
• Maintain control in stressful situations.
• Extended hours may be required.
• Some lifting may be required.
All primary roles and major responsibilities are listed. Additional duties and skills may be required for each job.