COE Upward Bound Program – Seeking Peer Tutors
College of Education Upward Bound Program
Director, Ana Calandrino
227 College of Education
Job Description: Peer Tutor
Mission Responsibilities: Assist in implementation of the COE Upward Bound Program (UB) located at Wayne State University. Funded by the U.S. Department of Education, the goal is of the COE Upward Bound Program is to provide opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits.
- Peer Tutors are responsible for representing the COE UB Program in a professional manner while at work and in the community.
- Peer Tutors are expected to serve as role models for the COE UB students located at Western International High (WIHS) School and Cesar Chavez Academy High School (CCA).
- Peer Tutors will help implement plans and activities that will benefit the after school tutoring program.
- Peer Tutors will make suggestions that might improve the COE UB operations.
- Peer Tutors will meet two days a week at WIHS for 1.5 hours per day and two days a week at CCAHS for 1.5 hours per day for a total of 6 hours a week. Students cannot exceed 20 hours per week.
- Peer Tutors are expected to represent the COE UB Program in a professional manner while attending events, such as in state and out of state field trips, Open House events, and tutoring on the program’s behalf.
- Some knowledge of the COE Upward Bound program goals and mission.
- Grade of an A in one of the following subjects:
- Upper-division class standing preferred (junior, senior or graduate student) but sophomores are also encouraged to apply.
- Strong interpersonal skills, positive attitude, self-motivated, and highly responsible.
- Must be able to attend the one on one Peer Tutor training.
- Must go through and pass standard University background check
- Develop on-going tutor relationships with students in the learning team, individually and as a group.
- Help students with homework assignments in Math or English/Writing and or Science based on applicant’s academic record and strengths
- Phone banking may be assigned
- Act as a role model for students in terms of behavior, socially, academically.
- Meet twice a week at WIHS for 1.5 hours per day and twice a week at CCAHS for 1.5 hours per day for a total of 6 hours a week.
- Maintain confidentiality as stipulated in the “Code of Responsibility.”
- Assist the faculty coordinator in planning, organizing, and facilitating social activities, team-building activities, field trips, service learning projects, and other aspects of COE UB programming as assigned.
- Submit Case Notes
Peer Tutors will be compensated for their work at a rate of $11.00 per hour. Students cannot exceed 20 hours per week.