BaySail – Education Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator
POSITION TITLE: Education Outreach & Volunteer Coordinator
PRIMARY SERVICE LOCATION: Bay City, MI
RESPONSIBLE TO: Autumn Mitchell, Director of Education
BaySail is a nonprofit organization that prides itself on its award-winning, place and inquiry-based, Environmental-STEM programming aboard our vessels, the schooners Appledore IV and Appledore V. Our programming fosters environmental stewardship for the Saginaw Bay Watershed and the Great Lakes Basin. Through education, immersion and outreach, we aim to grow a community of knowledgeable decision-makers who will exude a desire to protect these resources while also improving their quality of life.
BaySail seeks to expand our programming to accommodate community needs for classroom and other land-based opportunities. We are now offering a new and creative opportunity through the Huron Pines AmeriCorps program for a full-time member who will be responsible for planning and implementing new curriculum geared towards water quality issues for a variety of audiences with special focus on K-12 youth. Our ideal candidate is able to manage multiple tasks, has strong initiative and desire to learn, is outgoing and personable, communicates very well through both writing and public speaking and has a basic knowledge of natural resource management practices. Experience with outdoor education pedagogy and national science curriculum is preferred. Knowledge of limnology, current stressors affecting the Great Lakes and basic vessel operations is also a plus (training will be provided as needed).
SCOPE AND PURPOSE OF SERVICE: This position requires a 10-month commitment. This Huron Pines AmeriCorps member will serve closely with the Director of Education to design and implement new and existing environmental-STEM curriculum for a variety of audiences with special focus on K-12 youth from underserved populations. The member will work closely with local schools to provide teachers and students with training, programming and support in outdoor learning and habitat inventory and management. The member will also work diligently to grow BaySail’s volunteer base while providing training and ongoing communication with all education volunteers.
Duties will be performed aboard ship, in classrooms, in the field and in an office setting. Members are expected to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs., regularly ascend and descend stairs and ladders and regularly board our flagship program vessels during the sailing season. The position will require a flexible schedule with some service on nights/weekends. Some overnight stays may be required. The position will require frequent travel to local schools, meetings and training with mileage reimbursement.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Education & Outreach
- Engage K-12 students in place-based education opportunities utilizing best practices and current trends in environmental education
- Design, implement and document classroom and schoolyard programs that are aligned with state and national curriculum standards
- Plan and attend a series of community events with outreach materials to promote conservation activities within the Saginaw Bay Watershed
- Partner with other area organizations to source program information and materials
- Conduct outreach through live interpretive presentations and print and electronic media
- Produce social media and website content related to education and outreach
- Plan and implement at least one habitat improvement project at a local school involving volunteers, school staff, students and a variety of community members
- Coordinate with teachers and captain while onboard sailing vessel to ensure programming expectations are met
- Provide educational support for volunteer and crew educators while onboard sailing vessel
- Facilitate K-12 Environmental-STEM program modules while onboard sailing vessel. Modules include, but are not limited to watershed ecology, pollution sources and solutions, research sampling procedures, nautical skills, physical and life sciences.
- Provide shipboard, place-based learning opportunities for adult special interest groups such as leadership sessions, agricultural partners and government officials.
- Work with BaySail staff to coordinate volunteers for special events from start to finish including messaging, promotion, day-of coordination, follow up and support of volunteers
- Increase volunteer educator pool through creative recruitment and retention practices, training, scheduling and ongoing communication
- Maintain and improve volunteer database management and sign-up procedures to meet increased capacity
- Plan, coordinate and attend a volunteer appreciation event to occur in October 2018
- Prepare and submit 2-week schedules, timesheets and mileage reimbursement forms
- Conduct at least 2 presentations to community groups about Huron Pines AmeriCorps
- Engage at least 30 volunteers in conservation activities
- Submit 4 “Great Stories”
- Provide regular project updates and photos for the website
- Represent yourself as a Huron Pines AmeriCorps member at all times
- Attend required trainings provided by the AmeriCorps Coordinator
- Submit to and pass random drug screening as required by the U.S. Coast Guard for individuals working aboard an inspected vessel
- Associate’s Degree with Environmental or Natural Resources Focus
- Computer efficiency (typing, email, word processing, excel)
- Ability to pass a background check*
- U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien
- Commitment to conserving the forests, lakes and streams of Northeast Michigan
- Experience onboard seagoing vessels
- Experience coordinating volunteers and events
- Environmental Educator Certification or certification/ experience in environmental education curriculum such as Project WILD, Project Learning Tree, etc.
- Working knowledge of the Next Generation Science Standards
On occasion, service will be required at an off-site location. Use of a personal vehicle may be required to perform duties (mileage will be reimbursed). This is a 40 hour per week position and runs from January 4-November 9, 2018. Benefits include $12,630 living stipend, health insurance, $5,730 education award and student loan deferment.
Applications and directions are available at www.huronpines.org/americorps and will be accepted until September 29, 2017.