New Mexico State University – Director of Distance Education
Job Title: Director of Distance Education, New Mexico State University
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Full Time Position
Job Description: New Mexico State University (NMSU) System invites applications and nominations for the position of Director of Distance Education at the NMSU – Las Cruces campus. We are seeking a visionary director who will lead distance education with collaborative partnerships. Reporting to the Deputy Provost, this position promotes best practices in all aspects of distance education across Las Cruces campus and four community campuses. The position serves as the face of distance ed to external and internal stakeholders including the Regents, Higher Education Department, Higher Learning Commission and others. Distance Education is a priority for the President, Provost, and Board of Regents.
Job Duties and Responsibilities: The NMSU Distance Education Director provides strategic leadership, project management and broad support for NMSU’s distance education efforts by:
- Working with colleges, departments, and faculty to develop distance
education programs and partnerships.
- Working with relevant campus units to enhance online enrollment and
- Managing staff members from Distance Education, Instructional Media
Services, Quality Matters, Online Course Improvement Program, and Academy Technology.
- Guiding the development of professional development programs for
mentoring staff and faculty who teach online.
- Serving as an expert and advocate to promote adoption of best practices
and research-based quality metrics for online instructional design and teaching.
- Overseeing support for NMSU’s instructional technologies such as Canvas
- Serving as the main point of contact for distance education inquiries
from students, faculty, staff, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ensuring that distance education courses and programs meet institutional
standards, accreditation requirements, and state and federal regulations.
- Providing data, documentation, and reports to support accreditation
efforts, program evaluation, and annual reporting.
- Leading the development of NMSU’s distance education policy and strategic
- Coordinating NMSU Distance Education services including the Distance
Education website and exam proctoring.
- Administering Distance Education budgets and resource planning.
- Representing NMSU Distance Education for University committees,
conferences, professional development events, and special projects.
Required qualifications include:
Experience and Education
- Eight years of professional experience directly related to the standard
duties as outlined.
- A master’s degree in a related field
Preferred qualifications include:
Experience and Education
- Experience in distance education administration
- A terminal degree is strongly preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work
effectively with a wide range of constituents in a diverse community
- Experience implementing management principles and practices
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment
- Strong presentation skills
- Skill in budget preparation and fiscal planning
Knowledge of distance education/educational technology
- Knowledge of the range of applicable laws and regulations that impact all
facets of distance education, including accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission
- Knowledge of innovative distance education technologies and learning
management systems, including Canvas
- Knowledge of best practices in online instructional design, including
- Knowledge of best practices in online teaching
- Knowledge of faculty professional development for online learning
- Knowledge with funding models for distance education and online programs
Salary commensurate with qualifications.
Candidates should provide a letter of interest, a resume/CV, unofficial transcripts, and names and contact information for 5 references.
Screening of applications will begin July 5, 2018.
To apply visit https://jobs.nmsu.edu.
NMSU is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer. Offer contingent upon verification of eligibility for employment in the United States. All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent on the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by federal and state law and by NMSU policies and procedures.