Hamtramck Public Schools – Paraprofessional
HAMTRAMCK PUBLIC SCHOOLS, 3201 Roosevelt, Hamtramck, Michigan
December 16, 2016
Vacancy: 2016-2017 School Year
For Health Services
SPECIAL SERVICES DEPARTMENT
Applications (available at www.hamtramck.k12.mi.us) are now being accepted in the Personnel Office for the above position.
Interested and qualified candidates must apply in writing to the Hamtramck Public Schools – Personnel Department, 3201 Roosevelt, Hamtramck, Michigan 48212.
The candidate must provide the following:
- Completed Application with Letter
- Copy of Transcript (proof of minimum 60 credit hours) or Copy of WorkKeys Test
Application Deadline: Until Filled
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER –
It is the policy of Hamtramck Public Schools that no person shall on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, age, national origin or disability be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination, in employment in any of its programs or activities. Inquiries related to nondiscrimination should be related to Civil Rights Coordinator, Director of Pupil Services, Hamtramck Public Schools 3201 Roosevelt, Hamtramck MI 48212 Phone 313-892-2035. Nondiscrimination inquiries related to disability should be directed to Section 504 Coordinator, Director of Pupil Services, (same address and phone number).
Thomas Niczay, Superintendent
Hamtramck Public Schools
Hamtramck Public Schools
POSITION TITLE: ONE-on-ONE PARAPROFESSIONAL
Department of Special Services
- High School Diploma or GED
- Previous experience working with school-aged children in an educational setting preferred
- Two years of college or passed the Highly Qualified paraprofessional state test
- Proficiency Test
DESIRABLE PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Is punctual and has regular attendance
- Maintains confidentiality of information regarding student(s) and programs
- Can establish a positive rapport with students and staff
- Exhibits appropriate dress and appearance in keeping with the school environment
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks
- Willingness to further education and skills by attending professional development opportunities
- Is able to accept teacher direction
- Willingness to be trained in seizure and diabetic care
Building Principal, Director of Special Services and Classroom teacher(s).
To assist physical and health impaired student with mobility, diabetes support (will train) and academic assistance throughout the school day.
- Works with individual student to reinforce learning or material or skills initially introduced by the teacher.
- Assists the teacher in devising special strategies for reinforcing materials or skills based on a sympathetic understanding of the individual student and his/her needs, interests and abilities.
- Serves as the chief source of information and help to any substitute teacher assigned in the absence of the regular teacher.
- Alerts the teacher to any problem or situation about the student that may affect classroom instruction or management.
- Assists with the student at arrival, dismissal time, lunch and restroom.
- Guides independent study, enrichment work and remedial work assigned by the teacher.
- Modifies instruction, supports student staying on task and assists with note-taking.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervising teacher or Director of Special Services.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Grade 2 on the District’s Support Staff Salary Schedule
- Daily schedule determined by the program administrator and resource room teacher.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: UNTIL FILLED