My Top Tips For Surviving Finals

Congratulations! You have made it to the end of yet another semester of college, almost. There is no greater cause for stress or the occasional mental breakdown during college than finals week. An entire semester worth of hard work and dedication can seemingly be wiped away by one exam. In order to avoid this from happening, students will spend the next two weeks camped out in the UGL rereading entire textbooks (or opening them for the first time). Look around in the library and you’ll find students in study sessions, review sessions and even a few crying sessions. Finals are a monumental task, but you can get through them with the help of a few of my personal finals survival tips.

1. Start Early: I know that this is possibly the most overused tip of them all, but there is a reason for it. Trying to study an entire semesters worth of material involves some serious brain power, and if you try and wait until the last minute the only thing you will be thinking is “I wish I started studying two weeks ago!”. Start studying now, and you may actually have a shot at nailing your exams.
  2. Prioritize: Studying for the classes that we struggle in the most can be a degrading experience. Frustration mounts as you cannot get the information to click, and the pressure builds as you stare at the clock wondering how you will ever pass this test. Often times we want to move on and work on something else, putting off the hardest material until the last second. I promise that if you start studying with what confuses you the most, the entire studying process will go by faster.
  3. Don’t Be Afraid to Take a Break: Often times when students sit down for a study session, they try and stay until they have learned everything they possibly can. While there is something to be said about staying on task, the brain does not learn when you shove information at it for hours on end. Taking breaks are an important way to maximize your study time. It seems counter productive, but even just twenty minutes every other hour can help keep you mind focused on the task at hand. Everyone is different, but I would not suggest hoping over to Netflix during these breaks.

Well my fellow Wayne State students, it is time. Winter is here, and finals are coming. Take your studying seriously, and you should be able to tackle these measly finals head on.

From General
Posted by Lucas Bell on December 2, 2017