DETROIT RIVERFRONT CONSERVANCY
Special Events Intern
The Conservancy is responsible for the improvement, operations, maintenance and programming of the Detroit Riverfront in perpetuity.
The Special Events Intern will support the planning, coordination, communications, and execution of existing special events as well as developing and implementing new projects, gaining an overall understanding of the way cultural institutions of our scale function. She/he/they must be available for some weekend and weeknight work throughout the summer.
The Special Events Intern will report to the Development team and will partner with the Public Programs Intern throughout the season as Development and Programming projects overlap.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in planning special events on the Detroit RiverWalk and the Dequindre Cut, including fundraisers and donor stewardship events
- Support or take lead in execution of special events
- Serve as point of contact for some special events
- Coordinate the logistics for supplies, program partners, vendors, and facilities for special events
- Work with DRFC Volunteer Manager to schedule volunteers and manage volunteers at special events
- Assist or take lead in setting up, breaking down, and managing registration and check in for special events
- Help edit event listings on DRFC website and public event calendar
- Assist with social media content and communications in promotion of special events
- Assist with event-related public relations and communications efforts
- Take photos at various events/programs and at destinations along the riverfront
- Develop copy for radio spots and print advertisements in promotion of special events
- Assist with special event sponsorship & ticketing coordination, tracking, and communications
Your background· Working toward a degree in hospitality business, parks and recreation, public service, communications, events, or nonprofit management or a related field is preferred· Experience with Word Press, Drupal or other website management systems· Experience with Photoshop and proficient in Microsoft Office
- Ability to accomplish projects independently and manage projects simultaneously
- Exceptional interpersonal communications skills (phone, email, face-to-face)
- Fantastic customer service ethic and high expectations for quality
- Experience working in park service or public service
- Capacity to lift 20 – 25 lbs.
- Ability to work weekends and weeknights as needed
Who you are
- A champion and advocate for the Detroit RiverFront Conservancy’s mission and our visitors
- Possess a growth mindset with an openness to coaching and critical feedback
- Knowledge of the City of Detroit and enthusiasm to work in the City
· Dynamic self-starter with entrepreneurial spirit who can think strategically, with imagination, and possess a good sense of humor with the ability to challenge and inspire· Action-oriented, decisive, quick study with proven ability to think analytically· Desire to grow professionally and impress coworkers· Ability to work well under pressure with persistence, perseverance, tenacity, integrity and patience· Highly organized and detail-oriented· Passion for creating interesting, strategic, and exceptional experiences
The Special Events Internship is full time (40hrs) and will receive a $5,000 stipend to be paid out bi-weekly. Preferred intern term May – August, please include availability your intern application.To apply for this internship, please send your resume, cover letter and a list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org in the subject of the email please type “your name – Special Events Intern”. We will be accepting applications until February 28th. Please no phone calls.