The City of Birmingham is seeking energetic, organized and dependable applicants for a Part-Time Clerical Assistant position within the Department of Finance. Under management supervision, performs a wide variety of clerical tasks related to the administration of the Finance/Treasurer’s Office including cash handling and acceptance of various payments (i.e. utilities, parking violations, permits, taxes, assessments, invoices, etc.), and responding to inquiries through the application of established policy. Works tactfully with the public in person and on the phone, and utilizes office software and applications to perform general office work. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Key Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· Knowledge of current office software packages, including Microsoft Office applications and the ability and interest to quickly learn and use new tools and technologies.
· Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and utilize problem-solving skills to assist members of the public and other team members.
· Ability to communicate and collaborate with a diverse range of individuals in carrying out assigned duties.
· Ability to accurately process monetary transactions by receiving payments and issuing receipts and change to customers.
· Professionally interact and provide excellent customer service both in person and over the phone.
· Possession of a high school diploma, or its equivalent, supplemented with coursework in administrative and/or office procedures. A minimum of 6 months to 1 year of post-secondary education coursework.
· A minimum of 2 years of clerical experience involving substantial public contact and/or customer service. Cash handling experience preferred.
· Proficiency in MS Office and Windows-based applications, and the ability and interest to quickly learn and use new tools and technologies. BS&A module working experience preferred.
· Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, communicate professionally and effectively both verbally and in writing, learn and apply specialized knowledge of department operations, work independently when necessary, and provide excellent customer service.
* Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
Schedule & Wages
· This position offers a flexible part-time schedule, 3-4 hours per day, between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., up to approximately 20 hours per week, Monday – Friday.
· Starts at $12.00 per hour depending on qualifications.
Submit Cover Letter, Resume and Completed City of Birmingham Employment Application no later than 4:00 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 24, 2018.