Nov 29 / Brandon Shamoun

One Month Down!

Day 32 of 219 in Spain.

Saying WooooHooooo again because I finally have Wi-Fi in my apartment!  Just took about a month to get it!

On that note – yay, one month down!  And with that, the weather is getting colder!  It’s been in the mid 50s to lower 60s the past few days with scattered showers.  I’m not lovin’ it as much as I did when I came a month ago when it was in the mid to upper 70s.

My new apartment has treating me well.  It’s different living alone, but I’ve met a few people the I’ve been hanging out with often to keep me busy, along with work.  I’ve been to the IKEA here, which is exactly the same as the IKEA in the states except it’s in euros, to buy a few, cheap things for the place.  And speaking of work, I received a second job as an English teacher at an after-school academy in a different part of Sevilla, Nervión.  This keeps me busy during most evenings for a few hours.  Making the extra cash will help, too.  Another thing that is different here is that pay checks come every month opposed to biweekly or weekly.  So I am anxiously waiting a first pay check!

Thanksgiving here was fun and lonely at the same time.  I still had to work since it is not a holiday here, however my elementary school celebrated the event by having me present on the holiday and by also having me on their live radio show, “English Corner” segment!  In my PowerPoint, I had many pictures of the foods, history, and the Detroit parade.  The students loved the parade, and wished they could experienced that.  I also showed a YouTube video of it, and they were glued to the screen the entire time!  On the radio show, I talked about myself, the holiday traditions, along with what my family specifically does on this day.  I did the show in English with Silvia, the school’s bilingual coordinator, translating for the listeners because it was the English part of the show.  The students, teachers, and director of the school loved it, and they hope to have me on the show again in the near future.  You can listen to the broadcast here (starts at the 20:00 minute mark): http://mixlr.com/radiopazarahal/showreel/radiopazarahals-mixlr-150/.  Pictures are attached below, as well.  During the evening of Thanksgiving, I taught at the academy for about an hour, and afterwards, I enjoyed a meat-free Thanksgiving dinner at TGI Friday’s (yes, there is one here in Sevilla!).  It was pretty decent for it being “American” food, just a bit expensive, about 18 €, or about $22.  After that all, I went back home and was able to FaceTime with my friends and family back in the states as they were enjoying their Thanksgiving festivities.  It was great being able to do this.  Thank you, technology!

This upcoming week is going to be quite stressful because I am going to be taking my GRE exam in Madrid on Thursday, December 4, so that I can complete my graduate school applications to hopefully be accepted in the Higher Education Administration/College Student Personnel program.  However, after that test, I’ll be off until that following Tuesday because of Spain’s Constitution Day being observed.  So it’ll be a nice little break.

In all, Spain is growing more and more on me (even more than it already had before I arrived), especially because of the awesome people I am meeting.  They are showing me more of the local places around here, allowing me to practice more of my Spanish, and in all, just being a friend to chat with.

That’s all for now, but of course, I am going to leave you all with some captioned photos below.  Please comment! :)

Some of my new Spanish friends!

Some of my new Spanish friends!

Silvia and I before the recording.

Silvia, the school’s bilingual coordinator, and I before the recording.

In the studio at the elementary school recording the Thanksgiving Day segment.

In the studio at the elementary school recording the Thanksgiving Day, “English Corner” segment.

Thanksgiving Day, broccoli-cheddar soup

Thanksgiving Day starter, broccoli-cheddar soup,

My Thanksgiving meal, broccoli, mashed potatoes with gravy, a brick of stuffing, and cranberry sauce.

And for dessert, pumpkin pie.

And for dessert, pumpkin pie.

Of course I watched America's Thanksgiving Day Parade in Detroit from my living room!

Of course I watched America’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in Detroit from my living room!

One Comment