Mar 20 / Audrey Johnson

In Pieces …

In Pieces: Presence and Objecthood in the Aftermath of Technology is the current exhibit in the Elaine L. Jacob gallery in Old Main that has been running since the end of January and closes this Friday, March 24.  I have had the awesome privilege of being a part of the current exhibit as a collaborator  in Biba Bell’s piece Souci de Soi: AUDREY JOHNSON. (translates to “care of the self”). In Biba Bell’s description, the work is described as:

Each day the gallery is open Audrey performs 10 minutes of personal, subtle, and transformative actions, a two-fold offering for both herself and the public. Throughout the nine-week period of the exhibition, a choreographic score guides the movement practice. One image is captured each day during the performance, to be printed, installed, and left in her absence. Throughout the course of the exhibition the images accumulate, revealing a fragment-like trace of her daily practice, a repeated effort whose fullness is better felt than seen.

For 4 days of the week for the past 8, going on 9 weeks, I have been able to have a performative and personal experience in this gallery. The score, which delegates one word/thought for each week has given me a sort of daily practice. Each gallery visit is like an opportunity for personal reflection and growth, and the ability to share that with the space around me. I am grateful for the ability to experience this.

This is the last week of this exhibit. I am excited to carry with me the memory of what I experienced through this process as a personal bodily archive of being  present. If you are around Old Main this week, please check out the exhibit; each of the works are unique and captivating. Additionally, this week there is a Panel Discussion, Thursday, March 23, 6-7PM, in the Purdy-Kresge Library Auditorium; a Gallery Talk, Thursday, March 23, 7:30-8:15PM, Elaine L. Jacob Gallery; and the Closing Reception: Friday, March 24, 5-8PM, Elaine L. Jacob Gallery. Catch me in the space Tuesday around 4:30pm or Wednesday around 4pm to see Souci de Soi in “performance.”