Nov 28 / Laura Woodward

Confidentiality and Student Evaluation of Teaching (SET)

Letter From A Student
Dear Dr. Woodward,

I am curious how confidential the online teachers’ evaluations are kept.

I have taken many online courses at Wayne State, but fear that the instructors would be able to know what every student has put in their evaluations.

Sincerely,

A Student

Answer From The Director
Dear Student,

Online evaluation of teaching at Wayne is very secure and confidential. In addition, online evaluations can be more confidential because faculty members cannot recognize your handwriting.

For online evaluation of teaching, we use special codes to temporarily verify that a student is actually taking the class they are evaluating and is not double-voting. However, once we verify that the data we collected was accurate, we delete the code.

None of the reports which we provide to the instructors provide information about who actually made the comment. Hypothetically, if a faculty member hacked our servers to look at our databases, there would be no information identifying a student that it would be possible to find.

Thanks for your question.

Sincerely,

Laura Woodward

Learn More About SET