Skip to content

Posts from the ‘Project 4: Blog Book’ Category

Project 4: Blog Book (Reflection)

Upon reflection of my experience with Project 4: Blog Book, I have come to the conclusion that I felt a varied range of emotions. I enjoyed this project because it gave me experience with laying out a book. I find using InDesign to create a book as fun and ultimately very rewarding. I also liked how a book of our blog posts was the final project: to me, it is the perfect way to wrap up the semester and display all of the work and lessons we learned over the course of the class in one place. This project helped us exercise skills like using a grid, choosing typefaces with a purpose, creating a dummy, staying organized, and creating a layout in InDesign that successfully houses text as well as images.

Things I found to be good/beneficial:

 Creating a dummy:

Although I had created a dummy book prior to this class, I really came to understand it’s importance during the beginning stages of this project. I would even go as far as to say that this project would have been nearly impossible without creating a dummy. Creating a dummy helped to decipher which order I wanted the content of my book to be layed out in, how many pages I would need to set up in InDesign, roughly where I wanted to place my text and images, and much more. It also helped with the printing process as we had to convert our file from reader spreads to printer spreads, something you truly cannot do without a dummy. It gave something physical that I could look at and use to guide me, like a map, through the creation of my book.

Looking for real-world examples:

It also made us look to the real world for help and inspiration: this project became alot easier if one physically looked through “real” books to see how they were arranged. It forced me to look through my “graphic designer’s” eyes, so to speak, because as usual, many of the things I was searching for in these books are completely invisible to the average person. For example, when a non-designer sits down with a book, they are most likely not doing so to check and see if the running headers are italicized or not; or what point size the body text is.

 

Using the Grid:

This project had a strong emphasis on using an underlying grid to aid us in laying out the content of our book. This was a great experience because it gave me practice with splitting my layout methods 50/50: partially trusting the grid, and partially trusting my own instincts, or “eyeballing it”. Practicing using a grid was beneficial and honestly makes it alot easier to come up with a clean, aesthetically pleasing design.

 

Deciding what typefaces to use:

This step was really important in creating the book. It proved to me how far I had come from the beginning of this class. With this step, I exercised my conscious decision making when it came to typefaces: I am no longer just choosing to use a font for no good reason, or simply because “I like it.” I have matured and grown in the class, and can more easily apply a typeface to a body of written language in an appropriate manor.

 

 

 

Comments Off on Project 4: Blog Book (Reflection)
7 Dec 2014

Project 4: Blog Book (Process)

The final project we were required to submit for Typography 1 was a ” blog book”. The book was meant to contain all of the blog posts we had compiled during the course of the semester. These posts embodied our experiences during our time in the class, including the process of creating each project, activities done in class, and even our favorite fonts.

Through this book project, we were allowed to decide ourselves what content to include, how many chapters we wanted to have, what order to lay out the information in, and much more. We were free to decide what look we wanted our book to have as far as layout and font choice

.1908452_899171513428249_5536037062376044423_n

Above: working on my blog book

The first step to creating our book was to conduct a typographic study on potential fonts to have the book’s type set in. This step would help us compare different type faces and determine which ones would work best together. Here are a few screenshots of my comparative type study:

Screenshot 2014-12-07 13.31.15 Screenshot 2014-12-07 17.07.02Screenshot 2014-12-07 17.15.41

I came to the conclusion that the following fonts would be appropriate for:

Headers: Franklin Gothic Medium (All Caps)

Body Text: Georgia

Subheads: Franklin Gothic Medium (Italic)

Photo Captions: Georgia (Italic)

The next step was then to set up a 5-column grid in InDesign and begin laying in all of my gathered content. Professor Dan stressed the importance of using a grid to guide all of our content into a reader-friendly arrangement. He explained that although a grid may seem confining, it is actually the opposite, as the grid makes it alot easier to cleanly and professionally arrange alot of information.

Below: Professor Dan illustrates the importance of setting up and underlying grid & explains what gutters are;

Browsing through books in the OpenLab in order to gain ideas and inspiration on how to lay out my book

10422552_899605250051542_2815373587056663693_n

10846306_899605373384863_7259276639587901527_n

Once the grid was established, I began to play around with arranging my photos and bodies of text:

 

 

 

pics of assembling book, screenshots of indesign layout

Comments Off on Project 4: Blog Book (Process)
20 Nov 2014