Skip to content

Posts from the ‘Project 1: Scavenger Hunt’ Category

More on Project 1: Scavenger Hunt (Reflection)

Here are a few photos from yesterday’s critique on Project 1! I thought all of the groups did a fantastic job, and I was very proud of my own group for our hard work and effort.

10685526_851844598160941_3206775932221137784_n10511188_851844618160939_2797637139601026542_n10616074_851844578160943_2319870075976976701_n10408615_851593021519432_2578884005955100551_n

Left to right: Joey, MaNazah, myself, Mariam

 

Also, I did recap the project in my last post, but here is my formal reflection on Project 1 which was included in my booklet:

“Overall, the scavenger hunt project was a great learning experience. It was quite challenging to have an assigned system to keep in mind while also trying to be creative and hunt for all of the necessary letters. In other words, you had to think outside of the box to find the letters, but you were also put into a box by your group’s assigned style. Being given a style also meant considering how to best represent it and making conscious choices to do so. This was good practice for paying attention to detail as well as keeping in mind the bigger picture.

I think the most important experience this project provided, however, was the opportunity to work in a team setting. This project would have been very different if we were asked to work as individuals rather than in an assigned team. Working through the obstacles together and making key decisions as a group was great practice for what may be to come in the future as we graduate and find jobs in the real world. Collaborating and combining all four of our visions is what ultimately made this project successful. This project also brought to light the importance of time management and planning while under a deadline. There were many different aspects of the project that had to be taken into consideration, such as having the photos, working on a reflective blog post, and communicating with your group during the process. The project being multi-faceted helped stress the importance of flexibility and organization while taking on a project. “

Comments Off on More on Project 1: Scavenger Hunt (Reflection)
12 Sep 2014

Project 1: Scavenger Hunt

Tomorrow (Sept. 11, 2014) Project 1: Scavenger Hunt is due. This project required each student along with our group members to create “a formally cohesive alphabet”. This meant going out into the world and “collecting” ( or capturing with your camera) letters A-Z of the alphabet along with these symbols:  (!?$*). The “letters” needed to not already exist (for example, you could not photograph the letter B printed on a billboard and use it). The style group you were assigned to also added some further constraints, as your letters needed to fall under your category.

My group consisted of myself, Joe Martinez, Mariam Dakroub, and MaNazah Chandler. We were assigned to the style group “Minimal”. Upon discussion, we decided the word minimal meant:

  • As simple as possible
  • Clean
  • Basic
  • Stripped to the essentials
  • Orderly

We also decided that in order to stick with our style group, it would be best to have our final images be black and white, and to focus on finding things that looked like uppercase letters rather than lowercase. We also decided to split the letters and characters amongst the 4 of us rather then have all of us try to find every letter. MaNazah and myself were assigned letters N-Z and the characters ?*, while Mariam and Joe took A-M and $! . Here are a few of the photos I took:

SONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSC

I really had to think creatively, as some letters were much easier to find than others. I found multiples of some, but others I could not find. I had a difficult time discovering R, N and Z.

When our group met next, we reviewed all of the photos we had. Since we divided the alphabet and more than one person was assigned a set of letters, we had multiples for almost every letter. We went through the photos letter by letter and chose which one we thought was the best for our final alphabet based off of our definition of “Minimal”. We also discussed which ones needed to be cropped, further edited, or retaken all together.

10638075_4692119757748_1470315207_n10685246_4692119677746_775021407_n10668671_4692119557743_724776878_n-1

*Photo credit: MaNazah Chandler. Our group reviewing and eliminating photos in preparation for the final critique.

We as a group decided we wanted to name our font something that incorporated minimal, as well as the overall look our photos seemed to have: industrialized. We ultimately chose to name our font Cimple City; a collaboration by MaNazah and myself. It combines a play on “simple” (minimal) and “city” (industrialized; pays homage to where alot of our photos were taken).

Overall, I think this project was alot more of a challenge than I had initially anticipated. Having a style added alot more of a constraint to what you could and could not use; you had to think outside of the box to find the letters, but were also put into a box by your group’s assigned style. I think it was a great learning experience!

 

 

 

Comments Off on Project 1: Scavenger Hunt
10 Sep 2014