Skip to content

Posts from the ‘Process Work’ Category

Project 3: Fictional Letterforms (Process Work)

Project 3: Fictional Letterforms was all about seeing letters through a designer’s eyes: as lines, curves, and shapes. Although we as designers clearly realize this and utilize letters in a way the rest of the world does, we also have trained ourselves to see letters outside of their everyday context and to take a step back in order to analyze their visual qualities. This project also capitalized on the various type classifications and the characteristics which set them apart from each other.

Here is a small excerpt from Ellen Lupton’s “Thinking with Type” on Type classification:

  • “A basic system for classifying typefaces was devised in the nineteenth century, when printers sought to identify a heritage for their own craft connected to calligraphy and the movement of the hand.”

For this project, I chose to utilize the font Perpetua, which falls under the type classification of Transitional. I worked to study the font closely, noticing all of it’s unique distinctions. I initially typed the entire lowercase alphabet out on my computer, and used this as a guide to begin sketching some thumbnails. I focused first on breaking up the letter, getting close and seeing every individual curve, weight, and overall taking notice of the different parts of the anatomy.

img006img008img007

I then moved on to experimenting with creating my own fictional letterform based off of my previous findings:

img004img005img003

The next step was to then switch over from using a pencil and paper to creating letterforms in Illustrator:

Screen Shot 2014-10-16 at 3.55.25 PMScreen Shot 2014-10-21 at 5.28.23 PM

After much experimentation, I chose the following letter form to be my final product. It is a combination of the letters u, t and g.

letterformcec

The file was then sent to Professor Dan, who took the time to get each student’s letter laser cut on wood in the WSU wood shop. I then spray painted the letter matte black. We were then asked to have a “photoshoot” with our letter, collecting various images to potentially be used in the next step of the project: the creation of a poster.

SONY DSCSONY DSC

SONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSC

Once I had collected my images, I began to work on the poster. The poster project had a very rigid set of guidelines that were to be followed. I spent time working on various elements, such a devising a Pantone color scheme, showing my letterform interacting with the existing alphabet, naming my letterform and deciding it’s phonetic spelling, and writing¬† information about the typographic category from which it came (transitional).

below: working on my poster

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 4.10.55 PM

Comments Off on Project 3: Fictional Letterforms (Process Work)
21 Oct 2014

Project 2: Font Mannerisms (Process Work)

I think this project was a prime example of the evolution that occurs during the creative process. I would say the majority of people who are not designers have absolutely no clue the amount of time, effort, revisions, and brainstorming that goes into creating something that may seem simplistic or not time consuming to them. The journey from brain to actual physical product that exists in the world is incredible. I spent alot of time experimenting, checking and re checking a million times, measuring, developing, re working, tweaking, and problem solving. Having a large chunk of time for the project left room to play and try new things which was very helpful in my creative process.

 

Here are some screenshots and scans of my doodles, sketches, trials and early drafts:

 

img003img004img005img006img007Screenshot 2014-10-03 08.25.18Screenshot 2014-10-03 08.28.41Screenshot 2014-10-03 08.29.45Screenshot 2014-10-03 08.30.22

Comments Off on Project 2: Font Mannerisms (Process Work)
2 Oct 2014

Project 2: Font Mannerisms

The basis of Project 2 was to be assigned a font and analyze it’s members from various angles. The font I was assigned was Bodoni STD, and the family members I chose to compare and contrast were roman, italic, bold, and poster.

The project contained numerous steps, and at the end we were asked to create an 11×17 book with all of the pages we came up with. The different steps to the project were:

  • Pt 1.1: Font Family Display A. Create the whole alphabet for each one of your different family members and set guides for cap height, ascender, x height, baseline, and descender.
  • Pt. 1.2: Font Family Display B. Decide upon 8 descriptive words for your typeface and show the words in various point sizes and in the style of each of your family members.
  • Pt. 2.1: Visual Analysis. Using your 4 different family members, create 4 different compositions documenting different comparisons within your font family. Examples could be: terminal, x height, counter, serifs, ect.
  • Pt. 2.2: Visual Analysis Continued. Using two of your chosen words, highlight various parts of the anatomy.
  • Pt. 3: Expressive Compositions. Selecting two of the words from Part 1, brainstorm a list of connotations for each word.. Then create visual compositions for each word that expresses the connotations of the word.

 

Here are the different pages to my book in order:

Screenshot 2014-10-02 07.45.17(2)Screenshot 2014-10-02 07.45.18(2)Screenshot 2014-10-02 07.45.17Screenshot 2014-10-02 07.44.23Screenshot 2014-10-02 07.45.17(3)Screenshot 2014-10-02 07.51.37Screenshot 2014-10-02 07.45.18Screenshot 2014-10-02 07.51.32Screenshot 2014-10-02 07.45.17(4)Screenshot 2014-10-02 07.55.37Screenshot 2014-10-02 08.05.01Screenshot 2014-10-02 08.25.21

 

 

Comments Off on Project 2: Font Mannerisms
2 Oct 2014