Nov 11 / fr1209

Peer Leader Appreciation Week!

This week (Nov. 14th to 18th) the Academic Success Center is celebrating Peer Leader Appreciation Week. Tutors and SI Leaders are receiving messages of gratitude for sharing their success with other students at Wayne State University.

To kick-off the week we would like to introduce you our Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leaders this fall. These young men and women plan collaborative learning sessions for biology, chemistry, nursing, physics, and psychology courses.

fullsizerender-4

Cham Smadi

1. Greetings fellow humans! They call me Cham Smadi, but you can also call me the Cub Wolf (I love loves ^u^). I am the Supplemental Instruction Leader for Bio 1500.
  2. Why I choose SI is an excellent question. Honestly, it was on a whim, I thought it would be a really cool thing to do. I have attended SI sessions before, specifically for psychology and biology, Bio 1500 actually, and I found it really nice to have a student help another student out. I loved the interaction in SI session, and I loved you “chill” as you would call it. I like how it teaches you transferable skills. And I just love to influence people; I love to see a change for the better in them, and it feels amazing when you had a hand in that change.
  3. Lately, I’ve been working on recovering as an artist and I am working on writing my first novel >v<. I love to write and create characters and stories. Brace yourselves humans, I cannot wait to share all of these novels and stories with you 😀

Razi Antoon

1. My name is Razi Antoon. I am a Supplemental Instruction Leader for Biology 1510.
  2. I am committed to SI because of my own personal experience as a student. Attending SI sessions led me to develop better study skills and a great passion for biology. I greatly enjoy whenever I can pass that passion along. However, the most rewarding is that I have the pleasure of assisting many students go far beyond the goals they set for themselves.
  3. Lately, I am working on enjoying life more. I also plan to soon make time to get back to the gym and work as a medical scribe again.

Hana Kallabat

1. My name is Hana Kallabat and I am a SI Leader for Biology 2200.
  2. I enjoy SI because I like watching students grow and learn valuable study skills throughout a semester and attain the goals they set for themselves. The most rewarding feeling is when they come and thank you and let you know that SI helped them do well in the course!
  3. This semester I decided that I wanted to spend more time taking care of myself and getting healthy! I’ve recently started working out consistently and hope to keep up with it. I’m also trying to cut back on shopping online- I have a problem.

Hanan Rakine

1. My name is Hanan Rakine and I am an SI Leader for Biology 1510.
  2. I enjoy being an SI leader because I enjoy helping students achieve their goals both academically and internally. As an SI leader, our role is not just creating plans to help students understand the topics better; but we also help push them forward and keep them going. I love helping my students pursue both their short and long term goals by helping them develop confidence in themselves and study strategies that they can use throughout their college career.
  3. One thing I have been working on lately is giving my time back to the community and helping out as much as I can within our hometown. I have been allocating most of my “free” time to working on local projects in Detroit and helping launch initiatives that could benefit both WSU and the city in the near future!

Alina Tariq

1. Hi! My name is Alina and I’m an SI leader for Introductory Psychology (PSY 1010).
  2. I like SI because it restores your faith in your courses and teaches you that anything is possible as long as you use your time wisely. My favorite motto from SI is to “study less and study smart”. These same study skills can be applied to other courses as well which makes SI so flexible.
  3. Lately, I’ve been working on finding myself. Our own passions and interests tend to get buried somewhere in all the courses we’ve taken so far and I’ve made it my mission this semester to find out what exactly I want to do in the future and what constitutes me (or) sets me apart from others.

Maksymilian Pilecki

1. Hi! My name is Maks and I am the SI leader for Cell Biology (BIO 2600).
  2. I like SI because it gives me an opportunity to revisit one of my favorite course that I took at WSU. SI gives me an opportunity to take what I learned and use it to help others succeed in a course that many students find challenging.
  3. One of my hobbies is officiating soccer matches (youth and adult). Whenever I am not at school, I am probably on a soccer field (or just studying). Lately, I have been working to set a schedule to manage my time more efficiently so that I can have some time to just sit down and relax.

Tan Son

1. Hello! My name is Tan, and I’m an SI leader for PHY 2130 and an engineer.
  2. My two favorite things are creating things and teaching others. As an engineer, I get to create, and as an SI leader I get to teach. My favorite moments when I teach is when students say “Oh! I get it!” That’s what I strive to do as an SI leader.
  3. Lately, I’ve been trying to improve my drawing skills. I’m doing the inktober challenge as a way to practice.

Andy McAnelly

1. I am Andy McAnelly, an SI for HON 1000 and an accounting and finance major.
  2. I enjoy being a part of the SI program because I like to see that I am making a difference. To help a student who is struggling in a course succeed and reach their goals is something that I find very rewarding.
  3. Lately, I have been trying to improve my knowledge of Microsoft Excel. I am doing this by completing projects in my classes and taking time out of schedule to learn more about the program.

Tarek Nader

1. Hello! My name is Tarek Nader. I am an SI leader for Organic Chemistry II (CHM 2220).
  2. Why SI?… Why not SI? I like SI because it gives students a positive and encouraging environment to practice material, learn new study skills, and grow as a student. Also, SI allows me to grow as a student and has helped me increase my ability to achieve my goals.
  3. I am currently in the application process to do clinical research, where I’ll be working with researchers interested in Hepatitis C and Fatty Liver disease.  

Ibrahim Humaisan

1. Hey all, my name is Ibrahim. I am an SI leader for Anatomy and Physiology (BIO 2870)
  2. SI is designated for ALL students. It’s amazing to facilitate an atmosphere in which study skills are discussed, course content is reviewed, and students are encouraged to participate.
  3. Currently, I’m studying for the GRE by working hard to improve my vocabulary and reading comprehension. Also I’m learning functional Anatomy to help alleviate some joint and muscle pain.

Shane Jackowski

1. Hello, my name is Shane Jackowski. I am the SI leader for Organic Chemistry I (CHM 1240).
  2. I enjoy being and SI leader and going to SI because it is a different experience than what I and most of us are use to. It helps us get out of our shell of relying on teachers or tutors to always provide answers when we don’t know them. It also allows us to collaborate with fellow students in a more casual atmosphere. Finally, it is a good place to meet people and make friends.
  3. Lately I have been working with my fiancée to finalize different wedding plans for this coming up summer.

Despina Tsitlakidou

1. Hello, my name is Despina and I am the SI Leader for CHM 1040
  2. I chose to be an SI Leader because when I took chemistry I found myself helping many of my friends in my class, so when I saw the opportunity to be an SI leader, I wanted to take it “to the next level” and offer my help to everyone in the class. I also wanted to break the “chemistry is hard” stigma and show that at times it can even be enjoyable.
  3. I am also a sabre fencer on the varsity team here at Wayne State and for the Greek Federation (internationally), so I practice and train a lot (sometimes over 5hrs a day). Also, I have been doing some neurology research for the past year and am prepping for its next phase. More importantly I am working on my coffee addiction, I can drink three shots of espresso and can still take a one hour nap right after…I don’t think that is normal.

Amira Alnabolsi

1. Hey Guys! My name is Amira Alnabolsi, and I’m currently the SI Leader for Gen Chem 1 (CHM 1220).
  2. Chemistry has always been a passion of mine, so being able to help other students learn my favorite subject means the world to me! I love being there for a student’s “whoa, I get it,” moment. SI Is such a great and convenient study tool for all students, and it really helps build the study skills necessary for upper level courses. Being an SI leader has been one of my most memorable experiences, as it has helped me grow in more ways than I could’ve imagined.
  3. Lately I’ve been working on exploring new places!! I’ve always been super shy and stuck in my own little bubble, but I’m really trying to get out of my comfort zone, and exploring new places really helps me do this. I’m always on the hunt for a cool new coffee shop with beautiful scenery (and a wide selection of vegan pastries of course – so hard to find, though).