Jul 31 / Christopher Chmielewski

The Wolfson Saga Part 2: Who is Wolfson?

The sun was still high in the sky as Chris was packing up to go home. It was summer time here in Michigan and it would stay bright outside until eight pm or later. Today had been a particularly boring day, in fact only one customer came in at all. The customer had been an older women with graying hair. She had been upset about maybe catching a worm and promptly requested her computer to be “dewormed.” After packing up his personal items Christopher proceeded towards the door. After locking it he step outside and began walking home. While he walked he whistled to himself. After about a quarter of a block he heard someone say “that’s a mighty fine tune you got there.” As he glanced over he saw crazy Jimmy smiling as he walked towards him.

“Hey man just the person I wanted to see, how are you doing?” Crazy Jimmy went in for a high five-handshake as he replied “I’m doing alright.” Jim was a pretty cool guy. He heard voices at times but that just made him more interesting. “Hey Jimmy I’ve been meaning to talk to you about the other day.” The smile slowly melted from his face, “Oh you mean about how you lied about seeing Demi Moore?” Chris really didn’t want to get into it with Jim so he just apologized for “lying”. As soon as he apologized Jim’s smile came back, “What else where you going to say about yesterday?” Chris got a little bit nervous, what if it hadn’t been Jimmy that I heard? What if he doesn’t know what I’m talking about? “Yesterday I thought I heard you mention something about Woflson. Do you mind me asking who he is?” Jim sighed, “He’s just a voice I hear sometimes y’know in my head.” Chris stared at Jimmy blankly, that name it was in my dream and it talks to Jim too? Could I be going crazy?

Chris was walking through his front door at a quarter to six. His stomach growled. Time for dinner he thought. Being a young bachelor that lived alone there was hardly ever any real food around. Closing and locking the door behind him Chris made his way to the kitchen. While looking through his cupboards he found some ramen.

After microwaving the ramen Chris sat down to eat at his computer. Remembering the conversation from earlier he decided to google “who is Wolfson?” Nothing really came up which was strange because you would think somebody somewhere would be named Wolfson. After about twenty minutes of searching every which way Chris was about to give up. Just as he was about to give up he came across a website for an occult bookstore. This must be fate. The bookstore was only a thirty five minute drive from where Chris lived. I’ll for sure visit this place first thing in the morning.

Chris awoke around nine thirty the next morning since it was Saturday and his shop was closed. He had made sure to check the hours last night for the occult bookstore; they were open noon to five. After a quick shower and shave Chris grabbed a cereal bar and left to go meet the eleven o’clock bus. As he waited in the bus stop shelter Chris began to unwrap his cereal bar. Christopher’s watch beeped signaling it just turned eleven; the bus was nowhere to be seen. Figures the bus is never fucking on time. The bus didn’t arrive until a little past eleven twenty, being so anxious about unraveling the Wolfson enigma made it seem like a eternity however.

The bus pulled up to a bus stop that was three blocks away from the bookstore at about twelve twenty. About a mile back it had begun to pour. Great some creepy weather for some creepy occult shit. Chris was not looking forward to walking these three blocks in the rain but he pushed on.

Christopher strolled up to the bookstore around twelve forty five. As he arrived the sky grew darker. Stepping inside the ominous looking building Chris immediately noticed the cute cashier. She was about five seven and a hundred and thirty pounds from the looks of it. With long jet black hair and porcelain skin she looked like someone you could imagine working in an occult bookstore. Smiling Chris walked up to the counter and proceeded to ask her if they had any books on something called a Wolfson. She looked a bit perturbed, “Oh you’re one of those weirdos with their silly web 2.0 end of the world prophecies, follow me.” Wow for working in an occult bookstore she’s pretty judgmental. As Chris followed her he couldn’t help but feel a bit foolish “Y’know I’m just researching this for a fictional story I’m working on. I’m not some end of the world nutter.” She didn’t say a word.

copied with permission from Quixotic Conundrum