Aug 1 / Hannah Mathers

The last month of Summer

I know, I know, I can’t deal with it either! Like every summer before and every summer to come, this summer has flown by. I hate to even think about it but before we know it, we’ll be back in the recording breaking snow/ cold (doesn’t it seem like it’s record breaking every year?) Anyway, I say that we go out with a bang and make August really last. Here’s a couple of ways this weekend to start the month off that way.

Friday, August 1

Campus-Martius-Park---MARKETING-ASSOCIATES-BEACH-PARTY!-ALYSSA-SIMMONS-at-Friday-August-01-2014-05-30-00-pm_event_popup_renderAlyssa Simmons Concert
5:30 PM
Campus Martius
Free and (kinda) walkable!

A cluster of spicy, spunky sounding all the way from Motown classic to catchy modern pop. Sounds…. weird. WE LIKE WEIRD.

Calendar-trio_nova_mundi_14 cropTrio Nova Mundi
7 & 8:30 pm
Detroit Institute of Arts
Free and walkable!

Violin, cello and piano fused beautifulness (is that a word?) Ps – I think this is italian for Three New Worlds. <3

Saturday, August 2

9d3ff745ca904887f3101caceeb1c50eMeklit Hadero (for the African World Festival)
7 pm
New Center Park
Free and walkable!

The website says that her style is a “soulful melody of jazz, folk & East African sounds” and I say “yaaaaaaaaasssss”. 

Campus-Martius-Park---MOVIE-NIGHT-IN-THE--D--THE-LEGO-MOVIE-at-Saturday-July-26-2014-08-00-00-pm_event_popup_renderMovie Night in the D – The Lego Movie
8
 pm
Campus Martius Park
Free and (kinda) walkable!

Free movie. Big Screen. Cool buildings. Fun people. Delicious food. Awww yeahhhh

All weekend

the carr center at nightThe Trinity International Film Festival
Various times
The Carr Center

Okay, not gonna lie I’m not sure if this event really exists… haha. The website is just kinda not detailed but I aint even mad because ya know what, those make for the BEST adventures! Plus, take it for me. If you show up to this museum and there aren’t any films, you’ll be totally in awe at the museum itself anyway <3 Try it out yall!

Ernie_spot2

“Ernie” 
Various times
Detroit City Theatre

Join one of Detroit’s many beautiful theatre production companies in honoring Ernie, our favorite sports broadcaster.

summer-vacation-y-u-no-slow-down

Make the most of it y’all :)