Jun 13 / Hannah Mathers

Warrior Weekend – Top 5 on my Detroit summer bucket list

With so much wonderful time on my hands, I created a list of things that I WILL do this summer. Sooooo, yeah. I better get started. Trust me, the list is longer than what I was able to have on here too. There is so much to do here! Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise (they are clearly blind). Much love and much exploring!

1. Spend more time on Belle Isle.

Yes, the state takeover has been controversial to say the least. However, we can’t argue that the nature of this island is one to be valued and appreciated. Of course, I have visited Detroit’s very unique  island (if you haven’t, seriously, get on it!) However, there are several things on Belle Isle that I still have not done. It’s safe to say that probably the more time that I spend on Belle Isle this summer, the better.

belleisle

Yes, THERE'S A BEACH!

Swim in the Belle Isle beach area

Yes, THERE’S A BEACH IN DETROIT! I know, I know. Mind blown right? It’s cuz not many people know about it (which in my opinion, makes it even cooler). Anyway, it’s beautiful and you can watch the skyline while you get your swim on. Oh yea, I’ve heard there’s rumors that there will be kayaks/ surf board rentals available.

aquarium

Visit the Belle Isle Aquarium

Love me some fishies :) I can’t believe that after it’s reopening in 2012, I still haven’t been! It’s open every Saturday and Sunday from 10 am – 4 pm. (Yes, it’s totally free! Despite my graduation, I still have a student mentality, LOL)

Nature-Zoo-Former-Nature-CenterVisit the Belle Isle Nature Zoo

Open daily 10 am – 5 pm. ‘Nuff said.

2. Attend a Detroit Futbol Club Soccer game 

Yaaaaaaaaaaassss. After visiting another country, I realize that the US is the only country in the world that doesn’t appreciate the beauty of futbol (football in it’s original definition). Check out the skyline in this picture (okay, and the dudes). But this is definitely at the top of my bucket list items for obvious reasons. <3

r-DETROIT-CITY-FUTBOL-large570

3. Shop at Whole Foods 

I know I know, it’s kind of embarrassing that I still haven’t gone. Truth is, I’ve always been a little afraid that Whole Foods is wayyyy out of my budget. However, I just became aware (thanks Julie!) about the TONS of programs (like more than any fellow RA could imagine). Sooooo I’ve added shopping at Whole Foods on my list (even if it’s just once). And yes, I will be taking advantage of some of the events that they have going on. Check em out. 

o-WHOLE-FOODS-DETROIT-facebook

o-WHOLE-FOODS-DETROIT-DEVELOPMENT-facebookAttend Sounds in the Street at Whole Foods

Every other Thursday, local artists come and share their stuffs. Free, frequent and right in our backyard. Don’t mind if I do thanks.

4. Visit New Center Park

I’m a little sad that I didn’t hear about this place before because it seems like the ish forreal. The New Center, neighbors to Midtown, contains the Motown Museum, The Fisher Building and New Center Park (duhhh). The place is gorgeous and totally on the rise. I’ve heard people call it like a technology/ business hub.

New Center Park 910-053111

download (4)Attend Wednesday Night Film Showing at New Center Park 

That’s right, every single Wednesday New Center Park shows a film, FO FREE YALL.

Attend Thursday Night Concert at New Center Parkr-DETROIT-NEW-CENTER-PARK-large570

Yes… every single Thursday they show concerts FO FREE YALL. Check out the schedule here. 

850a77db7e978b87e0c6801e3cf9f2ec (1)Attend Saturday Night Dance Party at New Center Park

Again, every single Saturday there’s a dance party FO FREE YALL (see the pattern?) Pshh and people say there isn’t anything happening in this city. Feel that burn?

5. See the very talented youth perform at 5 E 

I saw some of the “kids” of this organization perform at a conference and heard some of the leaders speak at a film showing and this place is legit. It’s basically an organisation that teaches the 5 elements of hip hop as a creative outlet to our city’s youth. I can’t believe I haven’t made it out to a show yet because seriously, they are super talented, politically involved and overall extremely impressive. I can’t wait to make it out to a show.

5 e gallery

What’s on YOUR Detroit summer bucket list? Have you made it out to any of these places? 

2 Comments

1. Hannah MathersNo Gravatar / Jun 20 2014

Thanks Juanita! :)

2. Juanita PipkinNo Gravatar / Jun 16 2014

Great Post!