Jan 31 / Hannah Mathers

Warrior Weekends in the D – Jan. 31 edition

GET OUT THERE AND DO COOL THINGS IN DETROIT! I can’t say it enough. Living in the city is a beautiful thing. I hope we all are able to take advantage of the opportunity. Enjoy my suggestions for the weekend. :)

Friday, January 31

Calendar-Hammerklavier Op copy

Maria Meirelles 3 B-Flat Sonata Masterpieces 
7 & 8:30 pm
Detroit Institute of Arts (Free with one card and walkable!)

It wouldn’t be a weekend in Detroit without a some jams. Check out Maria Meirelles for some beautiful piano pieces. Plus, have I mentioned how beautiful the DIA is? Please visit it. Unfortunately, the museum is not a guarantee to the city and we should really take advantage of it while it’s hear (my bad for the seriousness!)

Saturday, February 1

923428_10151909538791732_749753982_nShiver on the River

12pm-2pm
Belle Isle

Looks like a new event this year! How would you like to say in 20 years that you went to the first annual Shiver on the River? Just be there y’all! Looks like there will be lots of delicious local soup, bread (from Avalon of course yummmmm) and the Belle Isle Aquarium. A fun way to spend your Saturday.

BHSC_logo smallAfrican American History Day
11 am- 4pm
Detroit Historical Museum (Free and walkable!)

Not only is this museum a hidden gem in Detroit’s plethora of places to visit, an event like this offers many activities and opportunities for personal growth by recognizing the past and moving forward to a brighter future. Ps- looks like there will be free food also and lessssbihonest we’re all in college and well ya know, tuition is expensive..

Sunday, February 2

large_9592acb7-ddfc-4f98-8d0e-a63cc8e98fcb

My Occasion of Sin 

3 p.m.
Detroit Repertoire Theatre (The Rep)

Recently I read this “100 All Detroiters should do before they die” article and this was listed! I’ve never been and it is definitely on my Detroit bucket list. Plus, this performance seems very interesting about the unity of races during the 1969 Omaha race riot.

All weekend

253c96_5122623771d94342ae924ed4232cd1d8.jpg_srz_255_345_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Detroit Dreaming Film Festival
V
arious times throughout the whole weekend (see link for details)
Matrix Theatre Company

This Detroit themed film festival will have you thinking I’m sure about many issues that our city faces and many of the wonderful people doing big things to make an impact. Come check out some of Detroit’s best talent! Ps – This is one of Metrotime’s top picks this weekend.