Dec 26 / Hannah Mathers

Warrior Weekend in the D – Post finals edition

You all won’t believe what I’m about to tell you. Life in Detroit DOES exist after Wayne State campus life doesn’t! Here are some events that I wouldn’t want to miss:

Friday, December 27

Calendar-SeptCashoreMarionettes-violin1Puppet Performance: The Cashore Marionettes present Simple Gifts
2 p.m. & 4 p.m.
Detroit Institute of Arts (Free and walkable!)

OMG I LOVE PUPPETS! This looks legit. Don’t miss it.

Tuesday, December 31

foundation-flyer1The Foundation – Celebrating Woman in Hip Hop
9 p.m. – 2 a.m.
5e Gallery (Walkable!)

I can’t help but be super excited about woman being celebrated in anything and especially in hip hop. Hip hop is really important in advancing communities and expression and it wouldn’t be the same without the woman who play a role in that! I bet ya didn’t think hip hop was that meaningful :) Go check this out.

imagesNew Year’s Eve at Loco’s w/ Salsa Detroit and Bachata Nights
9 p.m. – 2 a.m.
Loco’s Tex-Mex Grille

I wish I could express with words how much I love Salsa! You should spend New Years a little spicier than you have in the past :) By the way, there are soooo many things to do on NYE in Detroit. Check out a list here.

Campus-Martius-Park-|-THE-RINK-THE-RINK-NEW-YEAR'S-EVE-HOURS-at-Tuesday-December-31-2013-11-00-00-am_home_events New Years Eve at Campus Martius 
11 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Campus Martius Downtown (Free!)

Watch the (Detroit version) of the ball drop with your Detroit family! I’ve heard great things about this event and can’t imagine a better Detroit way to spend the new year (except for maybe an after party wink wink). Either way, go out and have fun this NYE!

Wednesday, January 1

422323_484454871564619_976879499_aDetroit Institute of Bagels
7 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Corktown

Okay, this isn’t an event at all but I couldn’t help myself. A couple weeks ago I went here for the first time and LOVED it. I suggest going after your (hopefully) fun New Years night. Bagels are delicious after a night of… fun if you know what I mean. PS- Try the lox bagel!

Thursday, January 2 

hp photosmart 720 Techno Thursday
5:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Whole Foods Parking Lot (Free and walkable!)

Local techno artists come and fill the air with beautiful tunes in the Whole Foods parking lot. You know my philosophy, why not??